stihl chainsaw

/ stihl chainsaw #11  
Speaking of Solo, I went the 2 saw way. I had a MS310 for general purpose around here, but wanted a smaller limbing saw. The local corner hardware store was closing down and had a couple Solo 633 top handled saws. I bought one for 1/2 price and love it. It is super lightweight and fast. Even Loretta uses it.
Had I known I would end up with 2 saws, I would have bought the larger MS361. But at that time they were pretty expensive and the MS310 filled the bill for an all-around saw.

/ stihl chainsaw #12  
there have been a number of "what saw should i get" threads.

having a large trunk saw and a smaller limbing saw for the past 10 years, i can tell you there is no better saw setup.

its my experience, get as big as a saw as you can afford. then pick up a smaller limbing saw.

anything over 8-10" i break out the large saw and with a "pro" chain full chisel (although mine is left over from the old days when they didnt give you a plastic toothed chain (er "safty chain") saying "it is safer for you") and can out cut my smaller limbing saw on the same material 2 or 3 to one.

/ stihl chainsaw #13  
I got prices of

MS 290: $389.00
MS 310: $419.00
MS 390: $479.00

Are these good prices or should i look somewhere else?

I'm also interested in the husky brands of similar size.

I know in my area, and I'd guess others as well the prices are set by Stihl, so no matter where you go the prices will be the same.

/ stihl chainsaw #14  
I know in my area, and I'd guess others as well the prices are set by Stihl, so no matter where you go the prices will be the same.

I don't think that is true in all areas. I priced a cultivator for my FS85 there was $120 difference between dealers no more than 25 miles apart.

Solo

/ stihl chainsaw #15  
Speaking of Solo, I went the 2 saw way. I had a MS310 for general purpose around here, but wanted a smaller limbing saw. The local corner hardware store was closing down and had a couple Solo 633 top handled saws. I bought one for 1/2 price and love it. It is super lightweight and fast. Even Loretta uses it.
Had I known I would end up with 2 saws, I would have bought the larger MS361. But at that time they were pretty expensive and the MS310 filled the bill for an all-around saw.

Rob, chainsaws are like guns: you can never have too many and they are addictive!

I have:
Husky 142, 51, 357XP, 372XP
Solo 681
Poulan 2150 "Wlid Thing"

Please do not tell my wife......

RavensRoost

/ stihl chainsaw #16  
Raven,

Have to disagree with you on that one, chainsaws aren't like guns.

Guns are far more addictive. Saws are work, guns aren't and you can hide guns easier from the wife. Not to mention all those hours at the gun store would have to be spent at the power equipment guy, just not the same.

Besides, ever try to get your wife to fell a tree or cut rounds for you? I can get mine to run off a few hundred rounds of 22 pretty easy, she hasn't touched a chainsaw in 20 years.

(I had a girlfriend that would reload ammo for me. Why didn't I marry that one??? :confused:)

just my 2 sents,

Tom

/ stihl chainsaw #17  
I'm too cheap to buy new. Found a nice 029 with 3 extra chains on Craigslist for $250. That's in the ballpark with what I see on Ebay.

Have an old Homlite with the same size engine and bar--bought the Stihl because I couldn't get parts for the Homelite any more.

Wow! What a difference! The Stihl goes thru wood about twice as fast as the Homelite. Now, that Homelite is old (Super XL, bought used in 1975) and maybe the engine has some wear, but I doubt it was ever nearly as good as the Stihl. And the Stihl is about 3 lbs lighter. So I think that MS290 is a good choice if you want new.

/ stihl chainsaw #18  
I have a 260 pro about 450$ and a 6 pack of oil, the 260 is 3# lighter than than the 290. After cutting wood all weekend a big difference. Best all around saw I have