Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #31  
I had a stihl Farm Boss and was very happy with it. I loaned it to my brother and when I got it back it ran for a few minutes and died. Stihl dealer wanted $300 to repair it. You can't buy Stihl Parts on line, so I gave it to one of my other brother for parts.
When replacing the Farm Boss I compared the same two saws as the OP and went with the Husqvarna Rancher 455. It was $40 cheaper plus my wife had a coupon for an additional 10% off. I have had it now for a few months and my son has cut a lot of trees down with it and he really likes it. It starts great and cuts great. I have only used it a little since it is much easier for him to do the cutting as he is much younger and stronger than me.
Back to the parts issue. I also have a Shindaiwa 16" chainsaw that is one powerful little saw. We accidentally put gas without oil in it (don't ask) and burned a hole in the piston. I went on line and got all of the parts to fix it for 1/3 the price of a new saw and it runs as good as ever.

As far as loaning my brother my saw, my dad told me more than once "Don't ever loan anyone your chainsaw or boat motor". Pretty good advice that I didn't take.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #32  
As far as loaning my brother my saw, my dad told me more than once "Don't ever loan anyone your chainsaw or boat motor". Pretty good advice that I didn't take.

Amen to that... and I would add your tractor!

I've posted before about the week old Kubota someone's brother borrowed and ran it with gasoline till it seized...

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #33  
I have been hesitant to post in this thread because these are the 2 most popular stihl and husky's and I dont have anything good to say, but I figured it was time I'd give my 2 cents.

IMO, I wouldn't buy either. They are both overpriced for the performance. Mainly because of advertizing. The "rancher" vs "farm boss" thing has been around for awhile.

There are other brands that make better saws in your price range, as well as other saws by stihl and husky that are a better value.

This is normally where I'd say to buy a model xx dolmar, but since you didn't mention them, I'll just keep it to husky and stihl.:D

I have the opportunity to run a lot of saws of all types. Not just the ones I own. But I know A LOT of people who cut and burn firewood. So we ocassioally have a little get to gather and drag a log up and have some fun.

My uncle had a new MS290. .325 chain. For 56.5cc and 3.8HP I was less than impressed. We couldn't get it to cut well at all. In the log that our 64cc 4.8HP dolmar 6400 were cutting ~8seconds in, the MS290 was at 17 seconds:confused: My cousin has a MS310. 59cc and 4.2HP. Much more impressive. 11 seconds in the same log.

And the husky I really cant comment on, other than the specs make it look heavy and underpowered.

So I guess bottom line is, I would look at the MS310/311 at a minimum over the 290. Maybe it was just a lemon of a 290, but It wasn't impressive AT ALL. And in the husky, maybe go to a dealer and see how much a 357 or 359 would run you.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"
Is Sachs Dolmar the one Makita bought? Heard nothing but good about them. I've also heard a lot of good things about Jonsereds, but I worked for a guy decades ago who had one and that frickin saw wouldn't start for nobody.

I agree neither saw is great, but I limited my budget to $400. Looking at used "pro" saws, but afraid I'm gonna get a turd or something with low compression, etc.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #35  
No, it's a 55. Old discontinued model. I'm not sure what's comparable. Engine size is similar, though.

I think the 55 was the previous incarnation of the rancher

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #36  
Stihl has some nice features, such as tool-less bar adjustment and fat-finger-friendly tank caps. QUOTE]

Just my two cents and others experiences may be different, but I had a Stihl w/ tool-less adjustment and did not like it at all. I prefer the traditional bar nuts.

Also, even with large hands, I do not like the flippy caps.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #37  
Is Sachs Dolmar the one Makita bought? Heard nothing but good about them. I've also heard a lot of good things about Jonsereds, but I worked for a guy decades ago who had one and that frickin saw wouldn't start for nobody.

I agree neither saw is great, but I limited my budget to $400. Looking at used "pro" saws, but afraid I'm gonna get a turd or something with low compression, etc.

Yes dolmar is the one makita bought. And jonsered is made by husqvarna.

For a $400 budget, I think you would have no trouble getting a PS5105 dolmar if you have a dealer. And it makes the same power as the 290 @ 3.8, and more than the 455, and it weighs about 2lbs less than either.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20"
OK, just found a DE pro Stihl dealer that will sell me a MS290 w/ 20" bar for $340.
That even blows away the Husky 455 price at the box store. :thumbsup:

I think it'll be enough saw for the task.

/ Stihl Farm Boss 20" v. Husq Rancher 455 20" #39  
OK, just found a DE pro Stihl dealer that will sell me a MS290 w/ 20" bar for $340.
That even blows away the Husky 455 price at the box store. :thumbsup:

You should inquire as to how much more the 310 is. I think my cousin only paid like $40 more than my uncle did for his 290. And I am telling you, it was worth the extra and then some.