Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw throwing the chain frequently

/ Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw throwing the chain frequently
I marched on with the DeWalt Reciprocating Saw.

I got a Milwaukee pruning blade at Ace Hardware.

I was at Walmart and saw virtually the same blade that was branded as Skil. I got it as a spare. It was half the price of the one at Ace.

Both are Swiss made. They look identical.

The pruning blade worked well and much better than the general purpose blade.

Next week, I'll get the chainsaw going for more brush clearing,

Thanks for the comments.

/ Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw throwing the chain frequently #23  
I have never thrown a chain in my life and I have been cutting at least 20 cords of firewood a year for the last 35 years.. I have seen people throw chains cutting brush with a chainsaw quite often, cutting brush is not a job for a chainsaw..

/ Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw throwing the chain frequently #24  
This should give a good idea what I was referring to.Stihl - Aftermarket Sprockets - Rim Sprockets
Most of the less expensive bars don't have the changeable sprockets.

I didn't know there was a difference until I went in to buy a new chain at my Stihl dealer. I dropped down from a 20" to a 18" bar to get a little more oomph on some hardwoods I was cutting.

The bars with the sprocket are not much more, but likely worth it since tearing up a tooth on a cheaper bar means you have to buy a whole new bar.

/ Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw throwing the chain frequently #25  
<snip>
I would also suggest a new chain and a standalone Stihl dealer. Often dealers that sell other "stuff" like toilet paper and bolts don't have the expertise for chainsaws.
I致e never seen a stand alone Stihl dealer. As in a place that only sells Stihl products.
Well maybe they are a dying breed.
I had three in Northern Virginia I frequented and there is one down in Golden, MS, which is about the closest town to me. And note I was trying to differentiate from the "general" store type seller where the the staff are jack of all trades and master of none.

/ Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw throwing the chain frequently #26  
Lets clarify the 'stand alone' Stihl dealer. Stihl saws aren't sold in supermarkets, at Wally Worldmart or in one's local dollar stores. You won't find Stihl at H. Depot, Lowes, etc., either. Stihl products are mostly found at places that may also sell other brand saws or mowers, tractors, etc. Stihl stores usually have trained technicians that are familiar with Stihl products, as well as others like Huskvarna, Echo, etc.
Sometimes they may be a separate business in a garden center, or part of a rental center. Professional Arborists use high end pro grade Stihl products to make their livings, as do firefighter teams out West.
Most everyone who climbs and does takedowns of trees uses Stihl top handle saws. Tons of pro tree companies use Stihl saws and other Stihl equipment exclusively, due to their reputation, the people who sell and maintain their 'fleet' of saws, etc.
Pros need other pros who know their brand, stock the parts needed to keep their work tools running at top performance; and that is why Stihl is the most frequently bought saw among pros.
Other brands are good too, but Stihl is # 1.

/ Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw throwing the chain frequently #27  
OP, I agree with a couple comments already posted. I have 3 Stihl saws, one MS170, and 2 of the older, slightly larger 025's. The MS170 is my travel saw, in the toolbox of my truck most times, or on the rack of the ATV when trail riding, and gets the least use. The other 2 see use doing most of the heavy cutting, firewood ans such. However, any of them will throw a chain when it gets loose, more so when the saw is used on its side, and more so when, as you found, in small twigs/brush. Proper chain tension is fluid, it changes as the chain streches, as the bar gets hotter, or cools down. A looser chain is ok for extended periods of vertical cuts, as in bucking a log into firewood length pieces, but must be 'Wow, Im not sure I want it that tight' tight if the bar is horizontal AND cutting brushy stuff, twigs, etc. It took me along time, and advice from several experanced woodsmen to get an understanding of proper tension.

And... look closely at the bar and chain. If theres any doubt, replace them both, together as a set.

Good luck...

/ Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw throwing the chain frequently #28  
Small chains on small bars cutting small brush can be a challenge. As mentioned previously, buying a prestretched Stihl chain makes a big difference. You also need to pay close attention to the chain tension though; even checking as much as two or three times per tank of gas.