Stihl MS390??????

/ Stihl MS390?????? #1  

JDPN

Silver Member
Does anyone out there have a Stihl MS 390? How is it, how does it cut, etc. We are looking to buy one this week and want the dirt before we take the plunge. We already own a 029, so if anyone can offer an opinion that has used both it would be great.

/ Stihl MS390?????? #2  
You cant go wrong with stihl products, just dont buy something and use it beyond its designed intentions.
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have the stihl farm boss..

/ Stihl MS390?????? #3  
I would look at Stihl 440. I have the the stihl 270 which I use for small stuff and the 440 for big stuff. The 440 goes thru a 20 inch oak with no problem. The only problem with the 440 , it is a big saw. Being a weekend warrior I try to limit my time on the 440 to two hours. You can cut a lot of wood in two hours. Most accidents happen when you are tired or in a hurry. There does not seem to be enough difference between the 290 and 390. 290 is 56.5cc with 3.75 hp and the 390 64.1cc with 4.3 hp. The 440 is 70.77 cc with 5.36 hp. Hope this helps.

John

/ Stihl MS390?????? #4  
I had an 039 till a month ago, it got swiped. I ran the snot out of it and it did me fine. However, I got it used as part of a package of tools and a woodsplitter. I'm using my old husky 61 now. When I replace it, I probably will go with a 440 or husky 372. I agree with the previous post and after running several of these midsized saws, I think a bigger saw would compliment your 029 nicely. Actually, I probably will hold off till I can swing the 460 Artic.

/ Stihl MS390?????? #5  
I would second the recommendation that you step up to a larger saw, say an ms440 or equivalent ( husky 372xp or 570, dolmar ps7300) just so that you don't have 2 saws that are virtually the same class. In my opinion the 029 and 390 are just too near the same size to invest the money in a 390 when you already have the 029. I'd step 15-20 cc above the 029 and buy something at that level in the name of diversifying the saw lineup because the 029 and ms390 will be about the same wt with the 390 more powerful, so you will find yourself reaching for the 390 in every instance and the 029 will be a bit redundant. If, however, you are intent upon purchasing a ms390, in light of its cost, I would move up to the ms361. An ms361 would be lighter, more powerful, and better built in that it is a pro series saw vs. the consumer grade ms390. I believe I recall the price difference being less than $100.

/ Stihl MS390??????
I'm sorry Baucom, But the price difference is higher. MS310-$389
MS390-$459
MS361-$599
The 361 is really nice and would last forever, but only has .1 hp more than the 390 and actually has a smaller engine displacement, 64.1 v. 59.0 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. $150 for .1 hp isn't really worth it. It may be a better saw professionally, but the 390 better fits our use as a bigger saw for fallen trees on weekends. Unless of course you send us a check for $150. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just kidding

/ Stihl MS390?????? #7  
I have a 390 and love it. It will get heavy at the end of the day of a lot of cutting...I couldn't imagine going bigger for the stuff I have to do!

/ Stihl MS390?????? #8  
Hey, no problem. $150 is a good bit of difference. I just pulled up the 2006 Stihl price list here and the difference in MSRP is $120 (479.95 vs 599.95). I don't know if the 30 bucks makes any difference, but at any rate that price list makes for some interesting reading and helps level the playing field with dealers somewhat /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As for the MS390, I haven't heard anything bad about the saw aside from the fact that it's a bit heavy for its displacement/hp. In fact, though these consumer grade Stihls are often criticized, they're terrific saws when used as they were intended. If you go for the 390 I think you will be very pleased with it, aside from the weight (possibly--but then you're already used to the wt. in the 029/290 so this one will feel like a hotrod)

My current large saw is a Makita DCS6401 that I picked up at Home Depot. I rented it before I bought it just to get a little time on it to see how it performed, and since it performed well I went ahead with the purchase and my rental fee was applied to the purchase price. In some ways this saw is comparable to the MS390, notably in displacement (64) and wt. (13.6 #). However, this is a pro quality saw with a mag. crankcase and it puts out 4.7 hp (mfg specs). For my use, I figured this was a good deal at $205 otd. I do find it a bit heavy in relation to other saws, mainly because a DCS7901 is the same wt. with 15 more cc's.

Now, after blowing all that hot air, I'll finish with this: for your stated usage, if you want a new Stihl, the 390 is a fine choice and should last a very long time. Plus, that extra $150 is enough for a 24" bar and some spare chains, files etc. Let us know when you get that new saw, and give us an update after you put some hrs on it.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Whew, all that free advice was still cheaper than cuttin a check for $150, and worth every penny you paid for it too.

/ Stihl MS390??????
Thats some good advice Baucom. Its always good to get a 2nd opinion. I'll let you know when we get it and use it BUT, that might be 2-3 weeks away due to hectic schedules. Thanks for your help and look back in this post eventually for an update.