Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model

/ Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model #11  
Redbug,
The idle problem you are having sounds like an air leak to me, you need to have someone look at the saw, it could be the intake rubber boot from the carb to the cylinder has a small hole in it or the crankseal are leaking, either way it will cause the saw to run lean. The lean condition is when the saw revs up and the carb adjustment makes no difference. Bottom line is, left unrepaired you will ruin the engine on the saw.

/ Stihl O28 Super 1988 or so model #12  
Bought mine in 1988 to clean up after Hurricane Hugo. Personal use not for business....bought a piece of land 10 years ago and have cut a good bit of small trees down with it......

After 22 years....replaced chain, switch does not work well, rubber gasket around gas cap needs to be replaced.....outside of normal cleaning...have never done anything to it....

Very pleased with this purchase....

I have the same saw also purchased in 1987 or 1988 I believe. At the time I had a McCullough that died. I took it in to have it repaired. The mechanic told me he could fix it but it was a waste of money. He sold me the 028 and told me it would last me the rest of my life (I was 44 or 45 at the time). I brought it home and showed it to a log-builder nephew who was staying with us. When he saw it he said "that will last you the rest of your life".

From 1986 to 2003 I cut about 1/2 full cord per year. We moved to the present home in 2003 and heat entirely with a wood furnace, burning about 2 1/2 full cords per year. The saw has never let me down and starts after about 3 pulls when cold and after 1 pull once warmed up.

It has never broke down but since 2003 I have taken it in every 2nd year for professional tune-up and maintenance at the local shop.

It looks like those two were right when they said it would last me the rest of my life. Perhaps it will be like that old song "My Grandfather's Clock"

My Grandfather's Clock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

whose repeating lines say:
But it stopped short
Never to go again,
When the old man died.