stihl pole saw?

/ stihl pole saw? #1  

hoddykubody

Bronze Member
Tractor
3520 jd
Not sure if I have the rigght forumn or not but a few questions I have before buying a pole saw. I've rented a Stihl 131 several times but the question I have is what about the combo system with extension that is that if the extension is on is it a set distance not adjustable like the 131. Also what about the body harness to help with holding it up chest height for long periods . One beef I do have is the throttle is to much like a trimmer handle has to be the first finger . I remember renting a stihl before the 131 came out and it had a lever type throttle it was a stihl too . Should have bought one then I found it easier - can't remember what model stihl it was early 2000 era. comments please. Hoddykubody

/ stihl pole saw? #2  
   / stihl pole saw? #3  
I have the Stihl HT101 & love it. I use it as my main chain saw; Why have two when this one does everything I need. I have two Poulan regular chain saws & they just sit in the garage. Lesser quality than the Stihl, & harder to start & run consistently. Yes, the HT101 bar is pretty short, but the thing cuts as good as any chain saw I've ever used; I just cut thru on one side of the tree, then switch to the other side. I can cut trees up to about 20 or 22 inches in diameter. Very powerful. Nice to not have to bend down to cut. I even stand on the roof of my Kawasaki Mule & cut branches WAY up high.

My dad has the combi system. It works OK, but he says, & I tend to agree, that it's just not the same as picking up a single-use blower, edger, pole saw, etc. Should be but it isn't. His pole saw also tends to jump or bounce the whole time it's cutting, big pain. My HT101 doesn't do that at all. Just solid, powerful cutting action.

Mine was 600 bucks, but I can tell you if something happened to mine, I'd buy another new one tomorrow. Maybe even later today :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I don't know the answer about the adjustability of the combi system pole saw. My HT101 is adjustable from 7'-6" to 11'-6" (happen to have the brochure right here in front of me).

/ stihl pole saw? #4  
I have an older version of the split shaft pole saw - the FS86T - which has the old 25cc 2 stroke engine. It dates from 2000.

I also have the standard 1 metre extension - they have since produced a lighter carbon fibre one.

Certainly, you only have two fixed lengths - with and without the extension - and I do use mine without the extension e.g for cutting hedges where they get too thick for a hedgecutter to cut through. Without the extension, it is lighter, unlike a telescopic cutter which is always the same weight irrespective of length.

I have not used the harness, and I think it might be restrictive as I am not always working with the motor in the same position as obviously the length is fixed and the tree branches are at variable heights - but you may find differently with a telescopic shaft.

I use my split shaft with other things (hedgecutter and sweeper especially). This was a big decider for me. Again, YMMV.

One optional extra that may be useful is the angle head that allows you to cut downwards and reduce risk of getting saw stuck. This probably fits both types of saw.

Also, I think the pole saws are all 4mix - whereas I think some of the split shafts are still two stroke. I have no experience of the former, but if you don't like them again it may be an argument for a split shaft (or vice versa)?

Obviously, a split shaft is a trimmer, so it will have a trimmer handle etc. I do not know what a 131 would have - this may also be an argument against a split shaft.

Not sure how much this helps!

J

/ stihl pole saw?
Good thought there neimy about the angle adapter was going to enquire about that when I seen it in options list thanks . Btw the body harness was told would really help me I think because I have some farm fencelines to clean up alot of same height stuff - save the back

/ stihl pole saw? #6  
I have the Stihl Kombi system and absolutely love it. I use it a tremendous amount. It excells at trimming roadways where the trees and limbs encroach, and also use it for trimming shooting lanes. It is extremely light weight and balanced, and is not at all tiring to use. The little strap harness that comes with it is not necessary, so I never wear it. Actually, it just gets in the way and is not necessary. The saw is so light, a support harness is not useful and just limits range of motion. I often operate it with one hand on my tiptoes to reach those high limbs. i also have the 4' extension shaft, but rarely use it. Having it attached adversely affects balance, adds weight, and makes it more tiring to use. I will use it to even cut larger trees (say up to 8inches) but obviously, it is designed more for limbs or sapplings.

The larger, heavier dedicated one piece, or even telescopic saws may be great for pruning where only a few high limbs need to be cut, but when I hold them and use them, they are much heavier and will wear you out if you plan to use them extensively. They are top heavy, and that is what tires your shoulders. My normal use involves walking several miles along our roads limbing hundreds of limbs and small trees that encroach. Using a bigger saw would be much more uncomfortable. The KM110R motor is the next to the most powerful Kombi motor platform, and it is plenty powerful yet still light. I also have the hedgetrimmer attachment an use it for tall hedges at my home and also cutting pathways through briar patches or planted pines to access my deer stands. It will cut limbs up to 1". I also have the sidewalk edger which works great for edging sidewalks if you are into manicured lawns. All in all, the Kombi system, especially the saw, is one of my most used and favorite tools.

The only negative is that the short chains will dull fairly quickly, especially if you slip and hit dirt. And if the blade dulls, the saw works very poorly. So I do have lots of blades, and cycle them, and make sure my blade is sharp. I expect this would be true of all pole saws. The blades are fairly cheap. The last plus is that it is easier to transport since it breaks in half. Fits better on my tractor or 4 wheeler, or in my truck. I give it five stars.

/ stihl pole saw? #7  
I have the Stihl HT101 & love it. I use it as my main chain saw; Why have two when this one does everything I need. I have two Poulan regular chain saws & they just sit in the garage. Lesser quality than the Stihl, & harder to start & run consistently. Yes, the HT101 bar is pretty short, but the thing cuts as good as any chain saw I've ever used; I just cut thru on one side of the tree, then switch to the other side. I can cut trees up to about 20 or 22 inches in diameter. Very powerful. Nice to not have to bend down to cut. I even stand on the roof of my Kawasaki Mule & cut branches WAY up high.

My dad has the combi system. It works OK, but he says, & I tend to agree, that it's just not the same as picking up a single-use blower, edger, pole saw, etc. Should be but it isn't. His pole saw also tends to jump or bounce the whole time it's cutting, big pain. My HT101 doesn't do that at all. Just solid, powerful cutting action.

Mine was 600 bucks, but I can tell you if something happened to mine, I'd buy another new one tomorrow. Maybe even later today :thumbsup:

I have the HT101 as well and use it as my primary chain saw. It's a great unit and like the above would re-purchase immediately.

I'm still considering a larger saw, but have a small Poulan, but rarely use it just doesn't cut through like the Stihl.

/ stihl pole saw? #8  
I recently purchased a chainsaw head attachment to mount on my FS85 - wish I had bought one years eariler. It works great for cutting up brush for the pile, plenty of power for the job and not nearly as much bending over. Probably safer for that type cutting also.

/ stihl pole saw? #9  
I have a HT 131 and really like it. The advantage over the combo system is the adjustability of the reach where the combos are fixed lenght. They use the same 4 mix engine and the combo has more versitility with other attachments available. I have a 14" bar on my 131 and it handles it fine.

Steve