Stihl recommendations

/ Stihl recommendations #1  

chander

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1710, 1910, 2120
I am looking for feedback on 362, 462, or 500. I will be using a 25" bar or possibly a larger second bar?

Using it for dropping oak and pine varying from 8" to 30". Then using saw for bucking and firewood.

Currently using 250 and 291, that is not enough for the bigger jobs but will still be utilized.

I am not opposed to the older models if I can locate a reasonable saw.

/ Stihl recommendations #2  
If you can swing it financially the 500i is the cats meow

/ Stihl recommendations #3  
Big swing between a 362 and 46x. A legitimate 30” of oak is a really big tree I don’t have experience with hardwood that large but I’d want a minimum of a 46x, probably larger if I was doing it anywhere near routinel.

/ Stihl recommendations #4  
Wouldnt even look at the 362 and 400 replaced it. 462 or 500.

Ran both here that a friend had. I liked the 462 in smaller wood 20-24, but you may need more once over 24 in hardwoods.

Egan straight shots on front covers go for some gains proven on dyno for those 2. Egan Straight Shot Mufflers

s500462.jpg

/ Stihl recommendations #5  
I am looking for feedback on 362, 462, or 500. I will be using a 25" bar or possibly a larger second bar?

Using it for dropping oak and pine varying from 8" to 30". Then using saw for bucking and firewood.

Currently using 250 and 291, that is not enough for the bigger jobs but will still be utilized.

I am not opposed to the older models if I can locate a reasonable saw.
if your 291 doesn't cut it I wouldn't look that the 362, so the 462 at the minimum... I think its a nice size saw... if you can handle the weight and price of the 500 go for it you will love it in the bigger stuff...

/ Stihl recommendations #6  
The 500i is a great fuel injected saw, I had the chance to use one for a day taking down some really large oak trees , I really liked it. Pro series saws are really expensive, they are tough and you only have to buy it once. If I cut trees everyday the 500i would be my choice for cutting large stuff. On smaller stuff I use the smallest saw I have that will do the job.

/ Stihl recommendations #7  
I've gotten away from Stihl saws in general. I prefer the Echo gas powered saws for a couple reasons, mainly their lower cost and much longer warranty (5 years versus 1 year). I still own my 2 'shelf queens, an 090 and an 075 and both have 3 foot bars running 404 full tooth (not skip tooth chipper chain.

Stihl succumbed to the noise police long ago and the new ones require an immediate muffler modification to allow them to breathe halfway good.

Besides, Echo's are mostly made in Japan and Japanese made chainsaws are always top quality items.

Still have and use regularly the 028 AV I bought new over 40 years ago. Of course It's modded too. Cannot keep my mitts off any saw.

/ Stihl recommendations #8  
A 24" bar (Stihl calls it a 25") is their recommended limit for a 362. It's not all that fast with that bar fully buried in doug fir and would be slower in oak. The oil pump could go a little higher for that length bar as well. There are mods you can make to the pump to increase its output using Stihl parts from other models. The 400 comes with the same pump but has the power to handle a 24" bar and probably longer for occasional use.

I think the saw would depend on the mix of sizes you're dealing with. If 25-30" is not that common and you're doing a lot of 16" and less I'd lean towards the 400 with a modded oil pump. If you're doing a lot of 25+ you'll want a bigger saw than that.

A used 460 in good shape would handle the larger end of the range fine but they're an older design with rubber A/V instead of springs like the newer ones. For me it's ok for a couple hours but if it was all day I'd prefer a newer saw.

/ Stihl recommendations #9  
A 500 is a heck of a saw that will cut circles around a 291. If the budget allows that you won’t regret it.

/ Stihl recommendations
A 24" bar (Stihl calls it a 25") is their recommended limit for a 362. It's not all that fast with that bar fully buried in doug fir and would be slower in oak. The oil pump could go a little higher for that length bar as well. There are mods you can make to the pump to increase its output using Stihl parts from other models. The 400 comes with the same pump but has the power to handle a 24" bar and probably longer for occasional use.

I think the saw would depend on the mix of sizes you're dealing with. If 25-30" is not that common and you're doing a lot of 16" and less I'd lean towards the 400 with a modded oil pump. If you're doing a lot of 25+ you'll want a bigger saw than that.

A used 460 in good shape would handle the larger end of the range fine but they're an older design with rubber A/V instead of springs like the newer ones. For me it's ok for a couple hours but if it was all day I'd prefer a newer saw.
The majority of the oak that I will usually come across is between 14" and 24" with the occasional ones pushing over that. Probably about 10 percent would exceed 24" and I am not using the saw daily. Just clearing my property and using for firewood.