Stihl Warranty Rant

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #21  
For what its worth very few manufactures will just give joe blow off the street parts to repair their machines on warranty. The fault if any lies with the shop itself for having too few mechanics and a large backlog. But even then there is other shops.

I agree with this post. It is the dealer who is at fault in your situation.

MoKelly

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #22  
For what its worth very few manufactures will just give joe blow off the street parts to repair their machines on warranty. The fault if any lies with the shop itself for having too few mechanics and a large backlog. But even then there is other shops.

Yep, way back in 1995, I bought a new Cub Cadet riding mower, and while it was still in warranty, the spindle on the mower deck seized. Now I could have hooked up the trailer, hauled the mower 25 miles (one way) to the dealer and left it, then go back the next day to get it, or I could do a simple repair if I had the new part. So I took the defective part to the dealer from which I had purchased the mower, but as you said, I had to pay for the new part. He'd only warranty it if I let him do the work. Now I assumed that was so he could charge the manufacturer for labor. So I bought the part, fixed my mower, and wrote a letter to the manufacturer. They responded that they had contacted the dealer and he would refund my money, but he made sure I knew that he was mad at me, which was fine with me because I'd already had enough dealings with him to know I'd never have anything to do with him in future.:laughing:

On the other hand, when I had a Craftsman (by DeVilbig) oilless air compressor break the reed valves, I took it to a Sears service center to let them repair it, but they said their mechanic was on vacation, so it would be about a week. I told the guy that if he'd just give me the parts, I'd be glad to fix it myself, and he was quite willing to do that.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant
IMG_0597 (Medium).jpgIMG_0599.jpgOP here
I put the new cap on along with the new gas line,super simple. Replaced several carbs & gas lines on other brands and Stihl has done the gas lines a lot better than anything that I have worked on. It took me all of 10 min. and this is the first time tearing into a Stihl. Started on second pull! I'm still in awe at the 8 week wait for a 10 min. fix.

My gas leak was not all E-10 related. (Still don't like E-10) Found out that the grommet where the gas lines goes in the tank split. And the new cap don't leak. Was there a recall on the caps?

I will be making a 30 mile trip to get some real gas without corn juice in it. Closest place to me is:
Morgan Distributing Inc.
3425 North 22nd Street
Decatur, IL 62526
(800) 800-MOBL
(Toll Free)
(217) 877-3570 (Phone)
(217) 877-3613 (Fax)

And no I don't own stock in this company. But I did work across the street at Firestone in the early 70's for my first punch the clock job. Done that for 3 years and found out clock punching wasn't for me.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #24  
I blame the manufactures for the E10 related problems! They have had many years to engineer a product that can use pump gas. The problem is in the materials like gas lines and carburetor gaskets. Auto manufactures came up with the proper materials! This just lets the manufactures of small engines off the hook for all kinds of non-gas related warranty repairs.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #25  
I blame the manufactures for the E10 related problems! They have had many years to engineer a product that can use pump gas. The problem is in the materials like gas lines and carburetor gaskets. Auto manufactures came up with the proper materials! This just lets the manufactures of small engines off the hook for all kinds of non-gas related warranty repairs.

Blame them all you want, cars use a closed loop system under pressure which does not allow air in to mix with the fuel in the tank, AND most people don't have their cars sitting around for weeks or months unused. This problem with E10 has been an issue for boats, which have VERY expensive engines; for instance I spent over $25K on a new 225 HP Yamaha four stroke last summer, and believe me they REQUIRE as part of warranty that their brand of fuel additive and water separator fuel FILTER be used during warranty.
Seals, o-rings etc. have been changed, and especially fuel line for boat engines, because the E10 would literally turn the inside of NON-E-10 fuel line into a balloon which would allow NO fuel to pass through it.
So manufacturers have done their due diligence on this subject, but problems persist, and that is why the boat industry, as but one example, has fought really hard to dis-allow E-15 to be brought to market. In fact, ALL boat engine manufacturers state that use of any E gas over 10% will void the engine warranty, no questions asked.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #26  
   / Stihl Warranty Rant #28  
I am not surprised.:eek:

Where did I say anything about all manufacturers or all 2 cycle machines?:confused2:
What IS your point anyway, does it have anything to do with the discussion going on?
I'd like to answer your question but it has to be able to be understood to give a substantive response- I can't read your mind....

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #29  
For many MotoMix is the way to go and protect their engines at the same time.

Went to the Stihl dealer today and bought 2 quarts of MotoMix. $9 bucks a quart...ouch!!! Will try it tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

/ Stihl Warranty Rant #30  
Where did I say anything about all manufacturers or all 2 cycle machines?:confused2:
What IS your point anyway, does it have anything to do with the discussion going on?
I'd like to answer your question but it has to be able to be understood to give a substantive response- I can't read your mind....

Read post 18 MR. Know it all.:confused::confused2: