Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #1  

cuzncletus

I "thought" I had decided on a JD 790 which I really liked except the positioning of the shifter and lack of HST. Also looked at a JD4310 and Kubota 3130 but these bumped out of my price limit and frankly I was turned off by all the plastic. I wouldn't have a plastic shifter on a car; these tractors had forward/reverse plastic shifters where they would be exposed to elements, snag on branches, etc.- not very "tractorly" in my opinion.

Anyway, after thinking I had settled on a 790 with FEL and 4X4, JD bushhog, and box blade out the door considerably under 15K, I saw a Kubota L3000 in an ad. I don't know why the Kubota/Deere dealer didn't show me one of these. It looked very competitive in size and features with more HP and lift capacity. Any feedback on prices, features, capabilities, weights, etc. between the 790 and the 3000?

As always, thanks in advance. I've learned amazing amounts on this site.

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #2  
Both the 790 and 3000 are good basic workhorse tractors that don’t cost a fortune. Either would be a good choice and a real worker for you. Go find a 3000, drive it and compare to the 790 see which you like the best and what deals (financing too) you can get.

My next door neighbor has an L3000 which I have used. I also checked out a 790 when tractor shopping a few months ago. Our local JD dealer had a bunch of 790s in stock. I think the 3000 edges out the 790 overall in physical size, hp, weight, lift capacities (FEL & 3pt). You can compare stats on the JD & Kubota web sites. The JD site will even compare the 790 and 3000 side by side for you. For more specs on the 3000 try: http://www.fiser.com/tractor/agri/l2600specs.htm

I had seen mentioned before and it’s there in the specs the 790 seems to have a lower 3pt. lift capability (815lbs.) compared to other tractors (3000 is 1435lbs) which concerned me when I was looking at them.

Again both are very nice machines with the 3000 being a little bigger of a tractor. Good luck with your decision.

Oh there is a L2600 also, slightly smaller than the L3000 to confuse matters worse. No two stage clutch on the 2600 though.

(After researching and shopping I decided I didn’t need anything quite as big as a 790 or 3000 for only 4 acres and bought a Kubota B7500)

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #3  
I drove a 3000 when shopping and liked it a lot. I would have bought it but the unit "in stock" had some weird tires , I wanted R4's and found a 790 with R4's for a good price. To order the wheels and tires would have put some extra cost on the Kubota. I agree with last poster that the Kubota is a bigger tractor. I still like my 790 (70 hours), but am quite sure I would have enjoyed the 3000. Having owned JD and Kubota just get the one you like, they are both good!

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #4  
I have heard nothing but good things about both of theese units. I think it really gets down to which one you like best after you test drive them. Sometimes one or the other just fits or feels better and then all the other stuff becomes a moot point. The 3pt hitch lift is a good point as is the fact that Kubota offers a 3 year warranty Vs the Jd 2 year. Both almost always run the same financeing offers and are very competitively priced. The plastic Vs metal debate never really caught my attention but it is certainly a matter of personal preference. I know the 790 is not available with a hydro as it is a base model tractor. The Kubota L3000 I test drove was not either. I think the hydro on theese models is almost counter productive as it puts the unit at a price point where they would be competeing with other models in their own line. A reverser would be a nice option though. My experience has been that the first step is to find a dealer you like, with good service bays, parts dept and you trust. That often can make a huge impact in your decesion. Enjoy those test drives !

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #5  
If the prices are comparable between the JD and Kubota...

Kubota L3000 wins hands down... Kubota has greater PTO hp, almost twice the 3-pt. hitch capacity, more diesel engine cid = more torque... than the JD... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #7  
I have the 790 and love it. I hav11 acres and 6 horses to keep it busy. The shift thing will go away in about 2 days. I felt the same way having been use to cars. I wanted to shift with the FEL controls /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Now after 2 weeks it is as natural as breathing to drive and shift this tractor. I did not want HST but though I might miss a synchronized tranny or reverser now I don't know what all the fuss is about. I have done considerable FEL work with this tractor and it is fine. I can lift a full bucket of dirt and the 3 point capacity should be enough for any implements a tractor of this size and HP can run anyway.

If they are the SAME price the Kubota sounds like a good deal. Better read the fine print and make sure the are equipped the SAME way. Just diff. tires can be $500 option, slip clutches on the RM another $100, chainguards on RM $200, etc.

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #8  
cuzncletus,

If you really want a hydro tractor and would like to stay within the "economy" lines of tractors - then you might want to check out the NH TC30. This is also a no frills unit but does have a HST available. I was seriously looking at one when I purchased my JD. Best of luck

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #9  
good point.hydro and economy=tc30??love my kubota hst.

/ Still shopping....JD790 vs. Kubota L3000 #10  
The Nh is a good option. I have never seen the competitive model of JD Vs Kubota win "hands down" either way. When I was shopping most of the direct comparison models were withing a few hundred bucks. At that price difference for many the choice is based on which one you like better. The two mentioned are very competitive and after a test drive it will most likely be clear to you which you prefer.