Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years

/ Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years #31  
Have an older GM version of the Midtronics Micro 400 series battery conductance analyzer and find it predicting the overall condition of a battery. It once gave a good indication of a deep cycle battery I had on the dump trailer, but the carbon pile load tester also gave a good indication and the battery was found to have a bad cell when the specific gravity was taken of each cell. So sometimes the testers do not always work but most of the time they do.

David

/ Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years #32  
Have an older GM version of the Midtronics Micro 400 series battery conductance analyzer and find it predicting the overall condition of a battery. It once gave a good indication of a deep cycle battery I had on the dump trailer, but the carbon pile load tester also gave a good indication and the battery was found to have a bad cell when the specific gravity was taken of each cell. So sometimes the testers do not always work but most of the time they do.

David

/ Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years #33  
I bought mine about 35 years ago... was tired of guessing on batteries.

If I had a battery that wouldn't crank... I put it on the charger and then load test it with the tester.... basically pass or fail.

/ Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years #34  
I had an OEM in a Ford last 15 years

/ Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years #35  
I bought mine about 35 years ago... was tired of guessing on batteries.

If I had a battery that wouldn't crank... I put it on the charger and then load test it with the tester.... basically pass or fail.

What tester?

/ Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years #36  
It's a Silver Beauty 8556 150/300 amp battery load and regulator/alternator tester.

/ Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years #37  
I just replaced the battery in my 2005 B3030. It would still start the engine but it wasn't cranking like it used too. I tested it with an electronic tester that said it was only 200 CCA when it is rated at 370. I put in a new Interstate conventional rated at 500 CCA. It starts like new again, now. 10 years is good service for a battery. Not that unusual, though. I have had others last that long. Most batteries I have had lasted about 5-7 years.

/ Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years #39  
   / Stock battery is dragging after only 11 years
It was 27 last night (probably "balmy" for some of you guys) and I went out this morning to see if leaving the OEM Nippon Denso on a charger for a few days had helped. Nope, it took a long time before the glow plug light went out and it only turned over once or twice real slow. I pulled it out and checked each cell with my ultra cheapo "floating ball" checker. 2 cells had none, 3 had two and 1 was still good. I was headed out the door to go buy a new battery when I walked past my sprayer. Staring at me was the old Optima 38 that I had bought in '05 and had replaced in late '13. I decided to see how it would fit. Turned out it was a lot smaller but the CCA rating was about 700 or 800 if I remember correctly (obviously not). I hooked it up and hopped up in the seat, turned the key and was happy to discover it had plenty of power to fire it up.
So for now my problem is solved till spring when I'll need to use my sprayer again.

Tonight I scoured the 'net and discovered that an Optima 34R has almost the same dimensions as the OEM battery. I also discovered that "R" indicates the posts are reversed meaning the positive is on the left side of a regular "34" and on the right of a "34R". I'm sure most of you guys already knew that but I'm tossing that out for the benefit of anyone following up later.

So now that I've bought some time, my next decision is whether to buy locally or online. I can save significant $$ from Amazon but there were a lot of reviews where people weren't able to get Amazon to warrant a bad battery. Apparently Amazon says take it to a local distributor and Optima says take it back to where you bought it.

Nothing's ever simple.

Last edited: