Stocking my little pond

/ Stocking my little pond #41  
How does the gypsum in sheetrock scrap help clear up a pond??
That's a first for me, but would sure like to try it.

Anthony

/ Stocking my little pond
I'll probably get this backwards, but it's either one way or the other.

The reason my water is always muddy looking is from the electrical charge of the water. I think it's a positive charge, but like I said, it could be the other way too.

The electrical charge, or polarity of the water actually holds the silt particles in the water. Suspends them.

The gypsum neutralized the electrical charge and allows the silt particles to drop. The result is clear water.

When my pond was real low last summer, I did this with the scraps from my house. The results were obvious in just one day. If I had gypsum powder and spread it out, it would have been even better. From what I've read, the best way to do this is to through the powder off a boat and drive through it with an outboard motor.

This is something I really wanted to do at one time, but now that I know that the muddy water stops plant growth, allows the minnows the ability to escape and doesn't hurt the fish any, I'm inclined to leave it as is.

www.pondboss.com is a website similar to this one, but focused on ponds. The amount of information there is overwhelming, and very helpful. Allot of the members on that site are also here since pond owners are usually tractor owners too.

Eddie

I'll probably get this backwards, but it's either one way or the other.

The reason my water is always muddy looking is from the electrical charge of the water. I think it's a positive charge, but like I said, it could be the other way too.

The electrical charge, or polarity of the water actually holds the silt particles in the water. Suspends them.

The gypsum neutralized the electrical charge and allows the silt particles to drop. The result is clear water.

When my pond was real low last summer, I did this with the scraps from my house. The results were obvious in just one day. If I had gypsum powder and spread it out, it would have been even better. From what I've read, the best way to do this is to through the powder off a boat and drive through it with an outboard motor.

This is something I really wanted to do at one time, but now that I know that the muddy water stops plant growth, allows the minnows the ability to escape and doesn't hurt the fish any, I'm inclined to leave it as is.

www.pondboss.com is a website similar to this one, but focused on ponds. The amount of information there is overwhelming, and very helpful. Allot of the members on that site are also here since pond owners are usually tractor owners too.

Eddie

Thought some of you might like to see how the fish are doing. The minnows have spawned at least three times. There are big ones, medium ones and small ones in there now.

The bluegill are in there, but we haven't seen any sign of them except when I go swimming. Then they like to bite me on my back. Same spot every time.

The channel catfish are the really interesting ones. We feed them almost every evening when Steph and the kids get home. It's our big family event. The kids each get a cup of fish food and dump it off the dock, then we sit down and watch the catfish feed. It's amazing how much fun it is to watch.

They have been growing rather quickly, so Steph bought a net yesterday. Just you basic fishing net to pick up a fish you might have caught while out fishing. We cought three fish with the net. Two were a pound each, then the third one was quite a bit bigger. That's the one in the picture.

From the size of there mouths when eating, there are several that are even bigger!!! We're very impressed with the speed of there growth. That fish in the picture was under 6 inches long five months ago!!!!!

Eddie

Attachments

• Pond (Small).jpg
    Pond (Small).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 276
   / Stocking my little pond #45  
EddieWalker said:
From the size of there mouths when eating, there are several that are even bigger!!! We're very impressed with the speed of there growth. That fish in the picture was under 6 inches long five months ago!!!!!

Keep feedin' 'em Eddie, and soon you'll have to use your backhoe to open their mouths rather than just a pair of pliers.:eek: ;)

/ Stocking my little pond #46  
Nice pictures Eddie. Our cats were the same size when we put them in the pond 7 years ago. We feed them the floating fish food that you buy in bags like dog food. Some are now 10+ pounds and are a blast to catch. We do the catch and release thing so theres always fish to catch for the kids. They'll grow quick in your area.

/ Stocking my little pond #47  
EddieWalker said:
We're very impressed with the speed of there growth. That fish in the picture was under 6 inches long five months ago!!!!!

Eddie

Eddie,
Someone told me that catfish farming has one of the best protein in feed vs. weight on stock ratio's. I can believe it when you see how fast they grow.

We have some cat's that about 10 lbs in our tank. They've already taken the fishing poles of two unsuspecting anglers. I have a float on Kaylie's pole, just in case she loses her grip and the pole goes in the water. The catfish are already owners of a colorful "Scooby Doo" pole and reel.

The kids have been wanting to fish the small pond ever since they got there own poles and tackle boxes for Christmas. Today seemed like a good day.

Just to recap, I put 200 Channel Catfish in there last April. They were from 2 to 4 inches long. We fed them every evening until the water temps cooled, the stopped. We've been giving the ducks some food every day, but just a little bit. So far the catfish have not been eating the fish food, but the minnows are getting more and more aggresive.

We first tried hotdogs for bait without any hits. Then we switched to cheese. I had the first bit and it broke the 4 lb line on my pole. Peyton pulled the first fish out. I don't have a scale, but guess it to be over 2 lbs. It really suprised us on how big it was!!!

Alissa caught the next one about ten minutes later. It wasn't as big, but was still just as exciting!!!! I cought the third one, and the smallest.

Eddie

Attachments

• 2 Mar 2007 002 (Small).jpg
    2 Mar 2007 002 (Small).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 191
  • 2 Mar 2007 003 (Small).jpg
    2 Mar 2007 003 (Small).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 171
   / Stocking my little pond #49  
Hey, those are real keepers... and so are the fish!

Nice lookin' kids :) Fishing is a great thing to get a kid into.

/ Stocking my little pond #50  
They will go good with cheese grits and hush puppies.

mark