Stop side discharge on GR2100

/ Stop side discharge on GR2100 #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
Does anybody know of an after market product that would block the side discharge on the mower deck of the Kubota GR2100? I used the mulching kit for a long time so didn't realize what a pain it is to have the side discharge throwing clippings where I didn't want them. I know that I could just rig up something to block the opening, but not sure if that would clog up things, or leave a row of clippings on the ground concentrated under the right hand side of the deck.

Kubota GR 2100 Page

/ Stop side discharge on GR2100 #3  
This may or may not sound like a stupid reply, but I have the mulch kit & will soon be removing it, as I don't like the grass build up on the rear tires. However, I'd like to mulch leaves in the Fall. I probably will, as a test, make an upside down "L" shaped fixture out of a couple of pieces of scrap wood that will cover the discharge (minus chute). Then drill a hole in the top piece of wood, corresponding to the hole right at the top of the open discharge on the mower deck (that the original mulch block was bolted to). Then just stick a bolt in thru the wood & deck & it's blocked off. If this works well enough to suit you, you could probably fashion the same thing out of steel. Yes, call it stupid, if you like.

Last edited:
   / Stop side discharge on GR2100 #4  
Did you try my idea about making a plug out of wood? I really wasn't trying to be sarcastic about your request, it's just that I'm a better wood worker than a mechanic & that's what I would personally do. It would be a simple thing to then get a piece of steel and put it in a vise to bend it into the same "upside down L", if you were satisfied with the results with the wood plug. If you removed the mulch kit, how well do the mulching blades work for regular mowing? I'll probably remove that huge plug next month when it's cooler.

/ Stop side discharge on GR2100
I haven't tried the wood plug yet, Popeye, but I'm planning to. As far as the mulching blades without the mulch kit, I can't tell you, because they swapped the blades for the bigger none-mulching ones. I am getting better cutting power with the regular blades, but not happy with the mess.