stopping B 7100

/ stopping B 7100 #1  

PIERRE

Hi, I am new owner of a second hand B 7100 living in France. Searching through the archive gave me lots of interesting info and since it's my firts diesel tractor this was great help.
I have one question regarding the way to stop the engine. On my B 7100, when the engine is running, if I turn back the key to the "0" position the engine does not stop. The only way to stop it is to pull the decompressor key ( labelled STOP ). The problem is that both in the manual and on the sticker they say that this should not be done since it is not good for the engine being stopped this way.
Does it mean my B7100 has a wiring problem ? Any one has an idea ?
Thanks.

/ stopping B 7100 #2  
Hello Pierre.
I'm not sure what year your B7100 is.
When I stop the engine on my B7100 it states to pull the throttle lever back completely until the engine stops and than turn the key off,and never use the key to shut off the engine.

If you are having problem shutting the engine off check the throttle linkage.

Also when shutting of the engine, bring the engine rpm down to a slow idle.

By the sounds you don't have a wiring problem.

If you should need the basic infomation maybe I could help for I have a B7100HST,an there others on the forum with alot more knowledge than I.

How the weather over there in France?

Take care and stay safe.

Thomas..NH

/ stopping B 7100 #3  
I don't know about the B7100, but most diesels have a kill switch. On my tractor, the kill switch is simply moving the hand throttle all the way closed. The tractor won't start with the throttle in the kill position either. The key doesn't stop the engine on tractor either, and I think that's the way most diesels work. On gas engines, the key cuts the ignition circuit, but diesels don't have spark ignition.

/ stopping B 7100 #4  
Be carefull! Using the decompression lever to stop the engine can and will destroy the valves in short order!
I have a B6000 and on the hand throttle there is an additonal lever underneath that you pull up to close the throttle all the way--that way the hand throttle works fine at idle but the additional lever is spring loaded and closes off the fuel supply to shut the engine off. The lever on mine is about an inch long and sticks out toward the operator part way down the hand throttle.

/ stopping B 7100 #5  
There is only one way to stop a diesel engine properly - shut off the fuel flow to it. There are a number of ways to do this, depending on how the manufacturer designed the tractor.

On most newer models, the tractor does indeed cut off with the key, because there's a fuel stop solenoid which has to be energized for fuel to flow into the injection pump. On these tractors, there's also a manual stop lever or push/pull rod that shuts off fuel flow in case the solenoid were to stick in the open position or the keyswitch were to fail.

If your tractor is old enough that it doesn't have this stop solenoid "kill switch", you have some other way to stop fuel flow. It could be by pulling the throttle all the way back past idle to a stop position, or it could be another lever, usually with a red button on the end, that you pull or push to stop fuel flow. Just remember that after the engine stops, you have to return the lever to its original position or it won't start again.

And you should not use the decompression lever. As has been said, this will, over time, damage the engine.

Mark

/ stopping B 7100 #6  
I have a B7100 just like yours.

The fuel shutoff is on the right hand side of the tractor (as you are sitting on it) below the sheet metal (next to the main throttle lever). The main throttle lever has to be nearly full forward (lowest RPM) in order for the operator to be able to use move the cutoff lever.

/ stopping B 7100
Hi Kevin,

You are absolutely right, I found this lever and it stops the engine !

Thanks a lot.

pierre

/ stopping B 7100
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the info.
Weather here is not as good as it should be normally.

/ stopping B 7100
I have the same lever on my B7100 and it works.
Thanks

/ stopping B 7100 #10  
Re: B7100 ThermoSiphon Cooling

Pierre,
I know that there must be someone out there who gets tired of hearing me talk about the cooling system on the B7100 (I posted this information a lot on the last board). But if it saves a few engines, then I'll keep on talking/posting.

Basically, the B7100 does not have a thermostat nor water pump (the altenator is mounted behind the fan and resembles a water pump...look for the wires). This really is an adequate system if you know its oddities. Never use more than 50% antifreeze and always pre-mix it with the water before you put it in the radiator. The water will circulate on its own as it heats up. It is important to keep the radiator clean (inside and out).

I have a B2150 HSD in addition to my B7100 gear drive (4wd). I still enjoy using the B7100 for a lot of chores, especially mowing with its mid-mower. I have recently purchased a good used set of turf tires & rims to go with the AG tires & rims that came with the tractor and have named my B7100 "the little tractor that could...".

Hope you find this helpful.