Storage Box for Roll Bar

/ Storage Box for Roll Bar #1  

SnagDump

Tractor
Ventrac 4500Z, Bobcat S185 Skid Steer
After carrying my seeder around in the bucket and successfully running it over when it fell out, I decided I needed a more secure place for the new seeder and bags of seed as I traveled around the hilly terrain cultivating and seeding.

The sides are 1-1/8" subfloor material only because that's what I had laying around. They bolt to the roll bar using the holes that are already there for securing the roll bar when it's folded down. The 3 x 3 x 1/4" wire grid material I bought on amazon. I wanted to be able to see through the box at least when I don't have anything in it. Seems to work pretty well so far.

Attachments

• Ventrac Rear Box 001.JPG
    Ventrac Rear Box 001.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Ventrac Rear Box 002.JPG
    Ventrac Rear Box 002.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 294
  • Ventrac Rear Box 003.JPG
    Ventrac Rear Box 003.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Ventrac Rear Box 004.JPG
    Ventrac Rear Box 004.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 327
   / Storage Box for Roll Bar #2  
Good job, looks great!

/ Storage Box for Roll Bar #3  
Good job on that.

/ Storage Box for Roll Bar #4  
I looked at the first 2 pictures and thought, "That bungee is never gonna hold that box in place!" :laughing: Looks good man!

/ Storage Box for Roll Bar
I looked at the first 2 pictures and thought, "That bungee is never gonna hold that box in place!" :laughing: Looks good man!

Hah! Never noticed that when I took the pics but it sure looks like the bungee is supposed to hold it.

/ Storage Box for Roll Bar #6  
Yes its a beautiful thing, but in the even of a rollover, that box corner will dig into whatever material in on the side of the hill you flop over on. If it catches, the machine may be tripped instead of it sliding. If tripped, the tractor will/may keep rolling and go over more that once. That being the case, you may be ejected in spite of a seat belt because the roll velocity is so high. This is a problem discovered on specially equipped PU trucks that we tested when aftermarket head-ache racks, etc are installed. I'd keep the corners inward of the roll bar as much as possible.

/ Storage Box for Roll Bar #7  
Nice job! I’ve been wanting to make a chainsaw rack on my ROPS for years and just haven’t done it ....

Yes its a beautiful thing, but in the even of a rollover, that box corner will dig into whatever material in on the side of the hill you flop over on. If it catches, the machine may be tripped instead of it sliding. If tripped, the tractor will/may keep rolling and go over more that once. That being the case, you may be ejected in spite of a seat belt because the roll velocity is so high. This is a problem discovered on specially equipped PU trucks that we tested when aftermarket head-ache racks, etc are installed. I'd keep the corners inward of the roll bar as much as possible.

I can picture the scenario you've described but the box would have to be really strong for that to happen. In my case there's not a lot of wood between the bolt holes and edge of the OSB sideboards and I have no doubt the box would break away as soon as it hit something. It would be something to think about if someone was building a box with steel plate sides though. Thanks for bringing this up.

/ Storage Box for Roll Bar #9  
Great job on the box.

I'm curious about the teeth on the bucket. Did you fabricate those, or are they from Ventrac?

Great job on the box.

I'm curious about the teeth on the bucket. Did you fabricate those, or are they from Ventrac?

It's called a Piranha Tooth Bar and I bought it on the web from an outfit called bxpanded.com. People who have put them on tractor buckets seem to like them quite well and like any tooth bar or toothed bucket they should dig better than a smooth one. Also supposedly helps with clearing brush as the teeth are bevel sharpened on all edges. I say "supposedly" because the ground froze up solid around here just before the bar arrived and I haven't really put it to the test.