Storage until garage is done?

/ Storage until garage is done? #1  

RhallVA

Our garage is not going to be completed for a few months (at least). What is the best way to protect my new B2410 from the elements in the meantime? I have used some bungie cords and a tarp with some success, but it is windy here sometimes and it has not always stayed on! Any suggestions?
Carver has a cover, but it seems to be for indoor use (like a dust cover to protect the paint maybe)- appraently not designed for outdoor storage and protection from bad weather.

Tractor dealers leave them outside 24/7/365.... how important is keeping it inside in the long run?

Thanks!
Roy

/ Storage until garage is done? #2  
I kept a tractor and 6' snowblower under a cheap blue tarp in a relatively dry area surrounded by small trees for a whole winter while my current house was under construction. Whenever it snowed much (and it snowed that winter, over 100" total) I had to dig out the tractor and clear the 500' driveway so the workers could get in. I think the tarp made it a lot easier to deal with the snow.

I put cinderblocks around the sides of the tarp to hold it down, and a couple bungee cords to hold it to the tractor at the ends. The wind was limited by the small trees around the area, and I had the tractor facing into the wind.

/ Storage until garage is done? #3  
This subject was brought up not to long ago,and most of use do cover our investments from elements.

Weather has a funny way of making atractor look older than it is,also hard on the life span.

Blue tarp would be your best bet for now,not unless you can purchase a second hand Army tent..they work great,and try and lean some wooden pallets against the tarp.

/ Storage until garage is done? #4  
A lot of people buy <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coverit.com/>coverits</A> for temporary storage while building and then sell them when contruction is complete. There are a lot of web dealers who discount them to sub $500. The reason they're so expensive is that they're snow load rated. If you aren't concerned about snow load in VA, there are similar tents available from Costco and other wholesale clubs for around $125, but they will collapse under a couple feet of snow. If it's really going to be just a couple months blue tarps is the way to go.

Timd

/ Storage until garage is done? #5  
I wouldn't worry about it if it is only a couple months, the biggest thing would be if you live in the snowbelt to cover the seat and instrument controls so that you don't have to clear the snow off them when you need it. I keep mine outside 24/7 with no tarp as we haven't had time to build a barn yet. Most of the vintage tractors sat outside for years and still work well, it is better to keep them inside but it doesn't hurt them to be outside for a while. As far as tarps go, if the tarp is pressing against metal hoods or fenders it will cause more damage then leaving them uncovered, as the tarps hold moisture under them and against the metal so the metal doesn't get a chance to dry. Tarps can also wear paint on the edges of your tractor from the wind flopping the tarp around. If you leave your tractor outside just keep it clean and wax it to preserve the paint job since that is what makes a tractor look old.

/ Storage until garage is done? #6  
I have the same problem although my "temporary" storage problem is a little more long term.

I found a vehicle "shed" at Costco. Cost $150.00 a couple of years ago. Its a steel framed tent with a back and two sides. I roll the sides up and take off the back in summer.

Our Montana snows have caused no problem so far. Works well. Used RR ties buried in ground and tied together with a treated 2X8 on top. Lag bolted the support steel tubes and its not going anywhere. You have to be careful as I have seen similiar tent structures for as high as $350.00. Costco had the lowest price and the quality is OK.

Rick

/ Storage until garage is done? #7  
CAN APPRECIATE YOUR desire to keep the 2410 covered, till her garage is built/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif but in your area and this time of year a blue tarp should do ok, and if it gets a little wet on occasion it won't damage it. as long as it is a short time frame.