Oil & Fuel Store diesel in plastic?

/ Store diesel in plastic? #21  
I have always wondered about this. Plastic is an insulator and any electrical charge the builds up in the fuel is stored. The can is much like a layden jay. I always figured there was more to it then that. But given the current crop of worthless spouts it makes we wonder.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #22  
Another thought... many fullsize trucks and SUV's, both gas and diesel, have 30 to 35 gallon PLASTIC tanks and people park them in their garages every day without a second thought. In the event of a fire, how is that any different than a plastic drum of fuel stored in the garage?

/ Store diesel in plastic? #23  
more than 1 type of plastic....

styrene melts in fuel.... truck air line plastic lines take diesel no problem .... types 1 thru 6 ... each has it's use. :)

/ Store diesel in plastic? #24  
I store diesel and petrol in plastic containers, no chance of sparks;)

My car has a plastic diesel tank:)

you can put a cigarette out in diesel fuel.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #25  
It is odd to me, though, that you can't buy small metal fuel containers, and believe their absence flows from the stupidity of standards writers(mainly epa sourced). Again, I could be wrong.

Chris

It is against OSHA rules to have fuel and other flammables stored in plastic on job sites or manufacturing plants, etc. You must use metal cans. They are widely available but cost a lot more than plastic jugs. Justrite Mfg. Co. L.L.C. - Safety products

/ Store diesel in plastic? #26  
I am not a big fan of storing any fuel in any container that is not kept full as much as possible, including your gas or fuel tank on your vehicle... :)

/ Store diesel in plastic? #27  
IMG_0946.jpgI store 26 gallons when the tank is full of diesel in one tractor (photo) and 8 in the other, one on each side of my shop. Then I have 100 gallons of diesel in a steel tank(when full) plus my plastic gasoline 5,2.5 &1 gallon ones on a shelf directly over the fuel tank. I keep my fuel in the boat /lawnmower storage shed with few spark producing agents (electric lights, battery tenders only) Gasoline containers are the air tight new style so no fumes get out of them and the steel diesel tank is unvented and pretty tight so no fumes come out of it either although the side will ping sometimes when they expand or contract with the temp changes. I don't worry about fire melting the tanks because if something does catch fire with enough intensity to melt the plastic, a little more fuel is not going to change the outcome which would be a totally destroyed building.
I saw my friends house burn to the ground except for a couple of sheetrock wall when his boat caught fire from some faulty wiring (we think) which then set his attic on fire. He was directly across the road from the volunteer fire department and there was nothing they could do, it burned so fast that by the time the firemen had assembled it was past saving. I am at least 5 miles from the fire station and I for sure wouldn't stand a chance of saving anything from a fire therefore I keep my insurance policy up to date.putting slate at shop June12_10.JPG

/ Store diesel in plastic? #28  
Recovery your correct. On our rigs OSHA will not let any petroleum or combustible substance be in plastic due to static electricity being store on plastic. Without the container conducting ground it cannot be discharged. That being said I have never heard of one instance where an explosion occurred. It is driven from the industrial side such as in plants (not the living kind).
plastic fuel tanks on mechinery, car, tractors are connected to ground through wiring. But then you have lawn mowers with plastic without wiring, I have one. This is the same govt that tells us they can help us make every decision because they know better than us what we need. Ha.
It is against OSHA rules to have fuel and other flammables stored in plastic on job sites or manufacturing plants, etc. You must use metal cans. They are widely available but cost a lot more than plastic jugs. Justrite Mfg. Co. L.L.C. - Safety products

/ Store diesel in plastic? #29  
Gary-I am okay with plastic containers for fuel storage. As you have stated it is more about where you store the containers. A metal can can cause the same about of damage as plastic. This is a discussion that has endured a long time. Simply put use what you feel is right by evaluating the comments and focus more on where it is stored.

Today shreaded wheat is good for you, but next week someone might choke on it and then it will be labeled dangerous.

/ Store diesel in plastic? #30  
you can put a cigarette out in diesel fuel.

True....but.....smoking is bad for your health and not recommended by the surgeon general. I am surprised the government does not require a warning label on diesel storage tanks indicating the danger of putting cigarettes out in diesel fuel. :D