Storing Sweet Corn???

/ Storing Sweet Corn???
Thanks everyone for the very good advice. Our season is about over and I learned a lot and met some nice people while selling corn along a busy highway.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #12  
Some folks around here blanch it before freezing, some do not. I've never been able to tell the difference.

The lady that cooked for my grandmother (her name is Annie Blease Hoyle and she's still living) made the best cream corn I've ever had. Preffered variety was Silver Queen. I've watched her make it and before cutting it off the cob she'd run the knife down the length of the cob and split each kernel twice. Then she would cut the kernels off. Then she'd scrape the cob with the edge of the knife to get any pulp that was left.

Even frozen, that corn is a treat when you pull out a bag in February. Its like a little shot of summer.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #13  
George, I've never split the kernels first like you said, but I sure have cut a lot of them off the cob, then scraped the cob with the knife blade, as you mentioned, and that's still my favorite way to eat corn. We put up a lot of it in zip lock bags and froze it, and like you, I've tried blanched and not and couldn't tell the difference so we quit blanching it.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #14  
Oleozz said:
Thanks everyone for the very good advice. Our season is about over and I learned a lot and met some nice people while selling corn along a busy highway.

Just curious as to what you were charging for the corn! Around here it can be as much as $5.00 a dozen! You have to love it to pay that much.

Oh and the way we pick our corn is to put the water on the stove and when it is close to boiling go out and pick the corn..........now that is fresh corn.

Wayne

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #15  
I planted 6 - 60 ft rows of Silver Queen this year and had my highest yield to date. I picked a total of 41 dozen ears. I cut 16 dozen ears off the cob for freezing. I have 76 bags of corn in my freezer. I blanch mine, but my try it unblanched next year. I gave the rest away to family and now my whole family's freezers are full. A lot of work and I'm glad its over, but my tomatoes are still killing me. I've canned 77 jars of juice so far + my whole family is stalked with those as well.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #16  
We are growing this year, and it seems some of the newest hybrids claim sugar rentention up to WEEKS after picking. Not interested in waiting weeks to sell, but it is nice to know the customer will have a few days to consume it and still have a better product than they are buying at Walmart.
Im aiming for 3400 ears this year to get our feet wet, and keep the Clover Knoll name in front of folks while we wait for honey season to come in the late fall. I’ll probably throw some pumpkins in as well.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #17  
From a garden, pick and eat them the same day.
For purchases, a few days is fine.

I hate it when people go through the stores and peel open a bunch of ears and throw them back in the bin. A real person can tell if they're ripe with a gentle squeeze.

Same thing, one just doesn't rip open a bunch of ears in the garden and leave them on the stalks.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #18  
We know a family that takes pre orders for their produce. This way, they can harvest and sell at the peak. They simply offer up x amount of produce at said price and post a harvest date. Anything not sold via presale, is sold at the farmers market on the weekend. It also lets people know, you have said produce, instead of them having to stumble across it. For very perishable produce, this seems like a great idea for a small producer. Planning 2200 corn plants and 24 pumpkin mounds to start this year. With my traveling job, the wife’s real estate job and the honey/bee business, I’m just trying a little proof of concept at this point.

/ Storing Sweet Corn??? #19  
For something like sweet corn, if one wants an long season, one staggers planting several rows by a few weeks apart. Pick the first row and the next one should be ready.

There is a fairy successful fruit and veggie stand a few miles from my mother's house. Indoor (open air?) building. They have a loyal following, and quite a variety of foods that I think they grow themselves.

They're located about 5 to 10 miles from city center. But there is also a growing small lot community around them.

I think most of their food is picked and sold the same day, but I don't know how they deal with waste.