Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor)

/ Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #1  

saxon11

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T474
Hey, has anyway tried or have thoughts on putting compact tractor in double 3/4" floor with 12" studs? I'm looking at buying one of these pre-built sheds and according to their specs 1500 per load point: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/post-thread. My TYM 474 is 3,330lbs + i have beat juice in rear tires. Suggestions?

/ Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #2  
How big are the floor joists? Is the shed on a concrete slab?

I'd have no issues parking a large tractor in my shed. The flooring is 2x6 pressure treated, with 2x8 floor joists 16" on center resting on a 6" concrete slab.

/ Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #3  
Even if the shed framing will handle the load, you need to be very careful about what the shed is resting on. A sloppy job of just laying it on a few concrete blocks here and there may damage the shed.

/ Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #4  
Best thing may be to put down a slab and build shed on top of slab.... Have three wood floor sheds on my place and would not trust them with my 1400 Lb. SCUT (actually more like 2000lb with ballast attached)........

Last edited:
   / Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #5  
By the time someone pours a good slab, building a post/beam shed seems like the best option long term. Some critter actually ate a good sized hole in one of my wood sheds that had a 3/4 floor.

/ Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor)
How about if I added another layer of 3/4 plywood (or other sugesstions?) over the top, so would be 3 x 3/4". That would be some insurance?

/ Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #7  
How big are the floor joists? 1x1? 2x4? 2x6?

If the joists are 2x4 or bigger, and close enough together, consider laying a couple of 2x10's across the top of the floor like tracks for the tires to ride on.

This is assuming the ground underneath the shed floor is graded flat and fully supports the joists from underneath.

/ Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #8  
Maybe the decision rests on how long the structure's use is predicted or/and how much one wants to invest in it. And, of course, all of us never build one "big enough" in the long run.

In my case (at 85 YO), I invested in one of those canvas type structure sitting on gravel.....and eight years later it is still serving me with onlyfew problems .

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_3365.JPG
    IMG_3365.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
   / Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #9  
My tractor shed floor is 4x4 pressure treated, 16" on center, 6" gravel under them. I did put an extra one under where the wheels track. Single layer of 3/4" ply screwed directly to the 4x4's. My tractor weighs over 4600 lbs. No issues whatsoever after 4 years.....

/ Storing Tractor in Garden Shed (double 3/4" floor) #10  
How big are the floor joists? Is the shed on a concrete slab?
Since it's a prebuilt shed I would be suprised if it's anything bigger than a 2x6 and surely not big enough for a 3500lb machine.

The issue is half the tractors weight will be sitting over one or two joists.