Loader Straightening loader cylinder rams

/ Straightening loader cylinder rams #1  

Richard 71

Tractor
Ford 335 w/FEL, Ford 3930 w/FEL
I have a 1978 Ford 335 industrial utility with a 730 series FEL. Almost built like a tank. I think I have a very slight bow in my bucket cylinder rams since I had removed the bucket and had a very heavy old Ford snow plow mounted to the FEL pivot arms. I was loading it in a trailer and the fella helping said the rams, which were fully extended, were bowing. Apparently the pivot gussets on the end of the ram were interfering with the plow connecting points. The bucket works just fine when I reattached it except over a couple of months I started seeing leaking issues at the seals. Replacement parts are, holy smokes, expensive. Everyone I ask says to replace the rams as if they were $25 each. The cost of rebuilding those cylinders makes me brake out in a cold sweat. I am considering removing the rams, verifying how out of true they are and attempting to straighten them on a hydraulic bearing press. Has anyone attempted this approach and what tips could you offer. I know it is done in industrial settings just not sure about the shade tree mechanic. I really can't afford new hydro cylinders and the rams aren't any cheaper. Any advice for the old guy? Thanks in advance.
Richard

/ Straightening loader cylinder rams #2  
You would put the rods in some v-blocks and use a dial indicator to check the runout at various points along the shafts to determine where the correction needs to be made.
I think you will most likely keep chasing and correcting the shafts.
Check into a machine shop for some assistance.
The in house machine shop where i work does alot of work on hydraulic mixer parts, shafts, blades.... that get bent due to the extreme pressures they encounter while running.
they do use a press and correct runout on shafts many times a year.
They have alot of practice though.

/ Straightening loader cylinder rams
You would put the rods in some v-blocks and use a dial indicator to check the runout at various points along the shafts to determine where the correction needs to be made.
I think you will most likely keep chasing and correcting the shafts.
Check into a machine shop for some assistance.
The in house machine shop where i work does alot of work on hydraulic mixer parts, shafts, blades.... that get bent due to the extreme pressures they encounter while running.
they do use a press and correct runout on shafts many times a year.

B.D.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to go for the straightening with the Arbor Press. I think setting up in V blocks with an accurate straight edge and a dial indicator should get the job done. I think I can adapt a v block on the end of the arbor press also. Probably should be machined out of nylon composite. I'll try to keep a commentary on my experience which may help someone with a similar problem. I just had a thought. I'll bet someone may have even posted something in this area on U-Tube. Keep you posted. No pun intended. Richard

/ Straightening loader cylinder rams #4  
Could probably straighten them in place by rotating the rod 1/2 turn and then placing wooden v blocks at "pinch" points that close up as you extend or retract.
larry