Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat?

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat? #11  
You could always hook a ratchet strap, come-a-long or even a chain and boomer to a tree or solid object and just pull it back. If you have a welder put some extra bracing/gussets on the skid shoe mounts. There just going to keep getting bent the way they are.

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat? #12  
The trouble with fixing weak spots is sometimes they find someplace else to bend or break. I'd bend it back in place and keep the bar handy for the next time. It looks like the right size bar wouldn't hit the blade.

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat? #13  
Here are my most used tools for straightening bent metal.

A 24" adjustable wrench.
T1kwRHXntgXXcNousW_023238.jpg

A 36" pipe wrench.
36in Wrench_72dpi.jpg

Usually with a 4' cheater pipe! :thumbsup:

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat?
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I tried cold-bending the bracket with a 1" solid steel bar inside a 1-1/2" x 4' steel pipe for additional support and leverage. No go, as the bar started bending right at the top of the bracket. The bracket is clearly tough material, though not quite tough enough for my misadventures plowing in reverse. :) This afternoon I'll try pulling it out cold as Arc describes, using a 5/16" grade 70 chain and either a come-along or a high-lift jack set to pull mode. If that fails, I'll try adding heat with the Harris No. 10 welding tip or 6290-2 cutting tip, and hope I can get it hot enough, quickly enough, without overdrawing the little B tank. Overdraw is a concern, for sure. I've used the No. 10 tip successfully in the past to heat a 5 lb. cast iron machine part enough for brazing, and that took probably 5 or 10 minutes using a sand dam.

I love the idea of a shop press, BTW. Always looking for a good excuse to add a new tool, and my local HF has their 20 ton right now for about $150 after a coupon. That's only about $30 more than a new bracket would run from Woods after shipping. But I'm not readily seeing how I could set the bracket up to bend on a press. At least without some bending dies that I'd have a hard time coming up with. The receiver (sleeve) for the shoe post is welded to the bracket, and extends both above and below the top surface of the bracket where the distortion occurred. Plus, the forward, down-turned surface of the bracket that attaches to the moldboard forms a mating curve that I worry about screwing up if I detach it from the moldbord first. That's a same concern about trying to do this in a bench vise. Also not sure I'd be able to tell when I have the part straightened to the right orientation if it's off the moldboard. On the moldboard I can eyeball it pretty well.

If I can get this thing straightened out, I will indeed add some gussets as Arc suggests, to both this and the other bracket on the opposite side. That's a great idea. I have some 3/8" plate that I can shape with a portaband. My arc welder is only a 220v WeldPak 155 MIG, so way underpowered for this thickness of material. But the application isn't critical, and the forces I'm trying to protect against would be in compression when I next back into a frozen retaining wall. I was able to weld 3/8" reinforcing gussets to 1/2" plate on a York rake last year after preheating. :eek: I know. But that's actually held up well. I'd never try it on anything safety related.

Really appreciate all the input. I'll report back on how this goes.

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat? #16  
Good luck. If you can maybe back it up to something solid so you're not pulling on the 3 pt. hitch.

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat? #17  
If you had access to a porta power unit, it and a little heat would prob do the trick.
Mine has been well used over the years. Also start your collection of different size bars:
image-425048415.jpg
image-1912510509.jpg
image-1690363181.jpg

Anyway, good luck And Xfaxman, I REALLY like that 36" adjustable wrench :) Terry

Edit:eek:ops. Just noticed the wrench was 24". Still like it though. Just googled OTC 36" wrench. Just about had a heart attack.

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat? #18  
-------- And Xfaxman, I REALLY like that 36" adjustable wrench :) Terry

Edit:eek:ops. Just noticed the wrench was 24". Still like it though. Just googled OTC 36" wrench. Just about had a heart attack.

Yep. :eek:

I bought mine many years ago in a pawn shop, price wasn't too bad.

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat? #19  
Yep. :eek: I bought mine many years ago in a pawn shop, price wasn't too bad.

I have a 18" Crescent I bought years ago but don't recall the price. Prob wasn't too bad.

Terry

/ Straightening Skid Shoe bracket with heat? #20  
Here are my most used tools for straightening bent metal.

A 24" adjustable wrench.
View attachment 417463

A 36" pipe wrench.
View attachment 417464

Usually with a 4' cheater pipe! :thumbsup:

I forgot about my 36" pipe wrench but it's been a real charmer over the years. I have bent things back into shape that didn't seem bendable. If you ever see a used one, buy it.