Stranded!

/ Stranded! #1  

MrFixit

Silver Member
Tractor
KAMA 354C
Well. I managed to really break my new KAMA 354C and I'm stuck in the jungle!
My steering arm broke and my Right wheel is turning Right, while my Left wheel is turning Left! Darn, why couldn't I break it while it was in my garage.

Anyway When sitting on the tractor, the LEFT arm is broke, but my Parts manual calls it the "RIGHT Steering Arm". Page # 29, Item #8, Part number 254.31M.168. According to the Parts manual this is the same as the 254 also.

I hope I wasn't too rough on her today. I was driving through some ruts that my rear tires dug when it went bang, but I think it's a MFG defect as the center is slightly hollow and has signs of rust where it broke.

I'm stranded until I get this part. I can't contact my dealer until Monday but I doubt he has it anyway. I would hate to wait for a slow boat from China. I'm hoping somebody has this part in stock and is willing to sell it to me.

Please reply if you can help!

Thanks,

Tim

/ Stranded! #2  
Tim,
Your dealer should have this part but if he doesn't have him buy it from me and supply it to you under warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I know in the past I have had to take parts off of new tractors to satisfy my customers and perhaps your dealer will do the same?

To get yourself out and closer to home, you might try lifting the front end with the loader, backing out using the two brake pedals to steer (left one is hard because it is so small). go slow and good luck. Or you could pull the part and have it welded with some nickle rod till you can get a new one.

/ Stranded!
Thanks Chip!

I may be underestimating my dealer a bit by saying I have to wait until Monday and he probably doesn't stock the Steering Arm. He did answer his phone today when I called. Although I can't hear on the phone too well, I think he said he's actually got the steering arm and will be sending me one. So far he's kept his word with other things, but I didn't think there was much of a demand for steering arms and dealers would actually stock them.

Cool idea about using the Front Loader to SKI back to my garage! I don't think my 600 Pound Grapple is in the mood for skiing today.

Tim

/ Stranded! #4  
Tim,
At some point when you can, I'd like to see a picture of your grapple. 600lbs? must be some peice of hardware!

Looking back, we have only used a couple of steering arms in 3 years. We stocked them originally because the early Jinma tractor had a habit of breaking them on loader tractors. I have sold several for other makes of tractors (not chinese) also so this is a part that is subject to fail from time to time on any tractor. This part takes a LOT of stress, especially on loader equipped tractors. with a loaded bucket (yours is loaded even when empty at that weight) it is best to always be rolling when you turn the wheel. This will help prevent damage to all of the steering components on your tractor.

hope you get out of the jungle soon!

/ Stranded!
I'l admit I had a lot of weight in the grapple when backing up just before she snapped the steering arm. And further checking found a stump cut off below the surface of sand.

But I'm hoping this is a MFG defect and I don't have to baby this thing too much to avoid another break.

I tried to attach a picture that shows the void going through center of arm and has signs of rust. But the error message I gets say I can't exceed 10000.
How do I send a 1 Meg Picture?
Tim

/ Stranded! #6  
Scale it down to 100000 bytes and then send it.. etc.

/ Stranded! #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How do I send a 1 Meg Picture?)</font>

You can't. Convert the file to JPEG format, then reduce the dimensions of the photo till the file size is <100k

//greg//

/ Stranded! #8  
<font color="blue"> I'l admit I had a lot of weight in the grapple when backing up just before she snapped the steering arm. And further checking found a stump cut off below the surface of sand.
</font>

Hello Mr Fixit,

I know that they say, that the Kama front ends are pretty strong,,,, But. Toting 600lbs on the front end all the time and then more than that when loaded up, I am thinking that you are over stressing the front end. Maybe not.

How much did the material weigh, that you had in the Grapple?

By the way, did you have the 4 wd engaged when this happened?

Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Stranded!
Hi Joe,

I don't know how much weight was in grapple when it broke. But it was a small tree. Approx 6 inches at base and tapering off as it reached about 25 feet. Probably 300-500 pounds?

I had it in 4WD when it broke. The only way to get through the Sugar Sand is in 4 wheel drive even without a load.

I think I can attach the picture of broken arm now. It has rust in the center where a small air void in casting occured. Not sure how deep the void goes but it about 1mm x 10 mm (H x W).

Tim

Attachments

• 829008-Broken Arm Detail.jpg
    829008-Broken Arm Detail.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 310
   / Stranded! #10  
That is just one ugly piece of casting. Slag inclusion, voids, grain size are just a few things come to mind when seeing it.

Egon