Strange, but WELCOME! weather

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
I only started keeping my own records of rainfall at my place seven and a half years ago, but it looks like this year will be a new record for summer rain and cooler temperatures and that's great!/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif I can hardly believe that we haven't had a day over 95 degrees here yet, and we've had some amount of rain 8 of the first 16 days of July (over 2" today and just over 3.25" for the month so far). The only time we've had anything close to that was when a freak storm dumped 3.55" on us on July 31, 1995. And in the past 6 years, I've only gotten from 0" in 1997 to 1.27" in 2001 for the whole month of July.

And the yard needed mowing today./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Guess I'll have to open up the discharge chute for sure when it gets dry enough to mow. Hope this keeps up through August and September./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #2  
We've been having some strange weather here in southern Indiana also. Normally we have hot humid weather all through July, but the humidity has been hit and miss this year. Today it's less than 50%, which is well below the normal of around 65% or more. Rainfall is way down, I'm worried about some of the young trees I planted last year. I mowed the end of June and didn't have to mow again for 2 weeks! This is more like August weather. The humidity was bad the first week of July and I'm betting it will be back!

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #3  
Bird,

Enjoy it while it lasts! What is your annual average?? Somewhere around 30 inches?

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #4  
Our humidity wasn't too bad but we broke over 90 again today. I went home before Noon and got my Tahoe to drive. It was just too hot to ride my bike around. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif I hate it when that happens.

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather
Tdog, according to the historical records I've found, Dallas has an annual average of 33.70" (2.31 in July) and Waco has an annual average of 41.49" (2.67 in July). And I don't know how long a period of time they used for those "historical records." My own average has been 36.31" (1.58 in July), but of course averages are sometimes deceiving. In 1995, I had 5.19 for July, but 3.55 of that was the last day of July, and in 1997 through 2000, I got less than one inch each July. We usually get the rain Feb through May, then a dry spell, then rain in Sept through Nov.

And yes, I'm enjoying it this year; getting a light rain again this morning.

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #6  
Annual avg rainfall is computed over 30 years - current records are using 1970 - 2000 years rainfalls.
In places it should be brown in July it's green and growing and I don't have time to mow! It's going to be hip high before I get to it. Not a problem for the mower - but grass that high hides stuff! like new pig holes that weren't there last time.
mike

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #7  
It sorta seems like our weather is delayed a few months. We had a hot winter but when Spring was supposed to start in March it got cold. Then in Spring it was in the 90's and a drought when it should have been in the 80's and wet. Now when it should be hot and dry it is in the 80's and wet. If the trend continues it will be in the 100's and drought conditions in October.

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #8  
It has been hot as blazes here on the Carolina coast, not all that unusual for this time of year, but still uncomfortable.

Papers say the Carolinas are in the worst drought in history. Upstate, nearly all the lakes and rivers are way down. Yes we have a bit of a sea breeze here on the coast (Hilton Head Island), but it stilll feels harder to breathe. Last nite, as my wife and I returned from dinner, the temp reading at 10:30pm was near 90. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I need some mountain time!!

Personally, when the noise and dust settles down on terrorism, the economy and all the corporate nonsense, I think we as a country will have to seriously tackle some water related issues. May turn out to be a great investment arena for those with longer term vision, IMHO. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #9  
north of you we're having a very hot, humid ... and dry summer. We're the opposite of what Bird's reporting so far ... average rainfall is 2.5" ... and we're sitting at .26" right now.
Of course, that means my lawn's gone dormant leaving me time for other stuff .... such as brushhogging the pastures which are overgrown with weeds that love this mini-drought.
humid and dry ... weird combination alright!

/ Strange, but WELCOME! weather #10  
I always remember what the "World's Greatest Weatherman", the late, great Harold Taft used to say. Normal is simply the average of the extremes.
He also use to say the only time to predict snow in Texas is when you look out and see it falling. Now there was a weatherman. Nowadays, they predict it 4 or 5 times a year and we might get a little once (except for the panhandle of course. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif