Strange issue with electric brakes on tandom axel trailer

/ Strange issue with electric brakes on tandom axel trailer
Right now the trailer is back together I had enough earlier with it I had to walk away. One of the first things I did was ensure the left and right were in the proper position. The arms all are towards the front of the trailer. Also the installation stickers say left and right accordingly. I'm thinking of just adjusting the rears a bunch more and hoping they start to work. Im really at my wits end.

I was on the same path as ovrszd and thinking maybe weight transfer of the trailer would cause things, but all the weight should shift to the forward axle causing it to be 'heavier' on load and lighter on the rear axel. Y that definition I still don't see logic in what it's doing because when it's jacked up off the ground and neither have weight they lock up.

/ Strange issue with electric brakes on tandom axel trailer #12  
A possibility on an unloaded tandem axle trailer is that when the brakes are applied, the rotational force raises the front of the equalizer and lowers the rear. This would take weight off the front axle and increase it on the rear. This may be enough differential on an empty trailer to cause the unequal braking.

That's one of the reasons when brakes are only installed on one axle that they are on the rear axle.

/ Strange issue with electric brakes on tandom axel trailer #13  
You could have someone drive back and forth, applying and releasing the brakes while you walk beside the trailer to see what is happening. Watch the equalizer action, etc.

I might have missed it, but what do the brakes do with a load on the trailer?

Bruce

Thanks for the suggestions... I will have the trailer hooked up tomorrow and will check that. I am also going to use a different receiver on th truck and raise tongue up to where its radically not level to see if the degree of height will alter the weight distribution of the wheels when the brakes lock up. I'll also get pics of the brake setup. Also I am using a 2013 f150 for this. I don't believe the factory controllers from ford will cause such non sense... But figured I'd throw it out there...

/ Strange issue with electric brakes on tandom axel trailer #15  
let us know what you find!

I will definitly let everyone know. I did speak with an inspection mechanic today and explained everything thats going on and he said, there's no reason it shouldnt be working and that i should try turning the shoes up some more and drive it around. He said sometimes they just need to wear in to the drums after a long winter.. He's seen stranger things...

/ Strange issue with electric brakes on tandom axel trailer #17  
A possibility on an unloaded tandem axle trailer is that when the brakes are applied, the rotational force raises the front of the equalizer and lowers the rear. This would take weight off the front axle and increase it on the rear. This may be enough differential on an empty trailer to cause the unequal braking.

That's one of the reasons when brakes are only installed on one axle that they are on the rear axle.

Yes. That was my theory explained earlier and something I still believe in. But I agree with Myz, it really shouldn't be that significant.

I pulled a friend's new trailer recently. He had his Powerstroke factory controller turned up pretty hot to haul his Bobcat. I was pulling the trailer empty. Every time I came on the brakes a little hard the front axle of the trailer locked up, rear did not. Made me feel better about my ole junk trailer cause it acts the same way.

/ Strange issue with electric brakes on tandom axel trailer #18  
I just spent a week rewiring my PJ trailer with Dexter axles I went through and replaced all shrink rap butt connectors. With my trailer there are two white wires entering each drum. The first two times I replaced all the butt connectors I kept getting error codes on the ontroller. On my third day under the trailer I hoticed that the color of the actual wire was different on two white wires from the drum. One was copper colored wire and the other was black colored wire. I matched up the polarities on all the drums and everything works perfectly.. Not sure if it will fix your problem butyou may want to check this on the axle that your having problems with.

/ Strange issue with electric brakes on tandom axel trailer #19  
I would jack the trailer up, and pull the emergency disconnect cable and see if they all lock up. If they don't check voltage . If you can, connect a battery to the trailer brake wire and eliminate the controller until you know you are getting the correct voltage and the wheels are locking up. Maybe the controller is acting up. Electric trailer brakes can be finicky at times

So yesterday I got tied up at work and all I was able to get to is use my other receiver and change the angle of the trailer (with no change). I did roll under and adjust the rear axle shoes up some more until i couldn't move them by hand... I tested it again, and now the rear left (can see in my mirror clearly) is shuttering 'trying' to lock up. I have an inspection appt at 10:30 with a guy I have been chatting with. He's aware of everything, lets hope it passes... State of PA can be a real @#$%^&* with trailers ever since a chipper came loose and killed a dad and two of his kids about 8 years ago. Here's an article if anyone cares to read: Man gets 9-18 months for 3 deaths after wood chipper flew from truck - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Last edited: