Straw over grass seed

/ Straw over grass seed #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 2860M Cab, New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I have always put straw down over my grass seed after planting. Just planted some more of my yard and thinking about not putting straw down. Does it matter and will it make a big difference?

/ Straw over grass seed #2  
I have always put straw down over my grass seed after planting. Just planted some more of my yard and thinking about not putting straw down. Does it matter and will it make a big difference?
Yes, it will make a difference in the wrong way. Straw helps retain moisture. Seeds left in open sun will dry out. Also helps keep the seed-eating birds Reduced a bit

/ Straw over grass seed #3  
You will get a much better seed germination rate by using the straw. In addition, seed will develop a stronger root system quicker and thus be able to stand adverse temps better. Ken Sweet

/ Straw over grass seed #4  
You will get a much better seed germination rate by using the straw. In addition, seed will develop a stronger root system quicker and thus be able to stand adverse temps better. Ken Sweet
I agree that seed needs to be covered because of the reasons you described. But straw isn’t the only option. I have used peat moss successfully once, and another time I scattered a thin layer of potting soil over the seed. A little neater because these don’t have to be raked up once the grass is established like straw.

/ Straw over grass seed #5  
I agree that seed needs to be covered because of the reasons you described. But straw isn’t the only option. I have used peat moss successfully once, and another time I scattered a thin layer of potting soil over the seed. A little neater because these don’t have to be raked up once the grass is established like straw.

I’ve never raked up straw. It decomposes eventually. And those other methods might work fine for a small area straw is the only practical option for a large area aside from hydro seeding.

/ Straw over grass seed #6  
“potting soil”? I mean I guess on a little patch of missing grass, but over a large area? Also, wouldn‘t that just get washed away and expose the seeds after any appreciable rainfall?

I have never removed straw after planting seed. Why would you do that?

Straw can be hand-shaken from bales or put into a straw mulcher and shot onto the ground And it will stay there for over a year, unless it’s on steep ground or wind blows it away before it gets “rained down”.

Straw will keep doing its’ job long after potting soil has washed away.

Last edited:
   / Straw over grass seed #7  
Hay is my first choice, but straw is better than nothing.

/ Straw over grass seed #9  
It certainly helps to mulch seeds after broadcasting I always try to do it unless I am doing a large area

/ Straw over grass seed #10  
Also hay is much better as it sticks to ground better and has grass seed in it.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT