Strecthed drive chain - remove a link?

/ Strecthed drive chain - remove a link? #1  

marks

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 870
After some heavy usage with my DR mower, the #40 drive chain has stretched beyond the capacity of adjusting. Fort the next two months I anticipate further usage in heavy brush on steep terrain, is there a possible concern in just removing a link from the chain?

Thx

/ Strecthed drive chain - remove a link? #2  
I don't think it would be a problem. Hose reels on fuel trucks use a chain driven system and I have often shortened the chains when they get loose due to chain and gear wear. When and if you do shorten it, you can get full and 1/2 link's. Pick up some of each so you can get it adjusted as close as possible. TSC usually has a good selection of chain master links.

/ Strecthed drive chain - remove a link? #3  
Check the sprocket fit of the chain. If the chain is loose after a only a few teeth on the larger sprocket it should be replaced unless it is a slow moving chain. A slow chain is very forgiving. A fast one should fit the sprockets well. A worn chain wears spockets and thereby shortens the life of chains replaced without a simultaneous sprocket change. A slow chain can literally be run until the sprocket slips. Not a fast one!
Larry