String trimmers and beneficial creatures

/ String trimmers and beneficial creatures #1  

ShenandoahJoe

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7300
I have a lot of insect and animal pests around my place. I also have a menagerie of snakes, toads, praying mantises, and other hungry carnivores. Good thing, too -- I'd never get a crop out of the garden if it weren't for their help. So I really hate hitting one of them with the string trimmer. This happened again yesterday.

Any advice about technique, to give the little guys a clue that they should run away?

/ String trimmers and beneficial creatures #2  
I don't know how you'd warn them. I've killed at least one baby cottontail rabbit, one toad, and a couple of snakes with the string trimmer when I didn't see them in time.

/ String trimmers and beneficial creatures #3  
I don't think you can prevent killing small creatures occasionally, that is just nature taking care of itself so it doesn't over populate. Everything in nature preys on something, so there is always death awaiting every living creature. Just have to deal with it.

/ String trimmers and beneficial creatures #4  
I just try to keep on top of it so that the growth is never too much to keep me from seeing a small animal that could be hiding where I am trimming. I trim every week and don't mind. Since I started using .155 line in the quick-load head on my Tanaka trimmer, I can do my entire property using just one piece of line which really cuts down on the total time.

I Just yesterday I spotted a gopher tortise hatchling sitting under my back gate as I was using my trimmer along the fence. They are a protected species and I have big ones living in the retention basin next to my house that I see practically every day. I am really glad I was able to get this little guy moved to safety and continue without him getting hurt.