Stripped breather bolt

/ Stripped breather bolt #11  
canoetrpr said:
This bolt took a 8mm crescent wrench... I don't know if anyone makes pipe wrenches that small :)

I have never heard of a cresent that was "8mm". 8mm is less than 3/8th of an inch.:eek:

:D :D
Mike

/ Stripped breather bolt #12  
MJPetersen said:
I have never heard of a cresent that was "8mm". 8mm is less than 3/8th of an inch.:eek:

:D :D
Mike

Yea like 5/16" is a direct alternate wrench size.

/ Stripped breather bolt #13  
On soft headed bolts it is an easy matter to select a slightly smaller multi hex socket and drive it on with a hammer . The socket will mold the head of the bolt to its own shape . Then simply undo with a ratchet . You will have to drive the bolt out of the socket with a pin punch after . It sounds a little rough but it has worked many times for me .

/ Stripped breather bolt
Iron Horse - good thought.

Jim, that sounds like a pretty useful tool. If I would have read your post before I went shopping I might have looked for something like it.

I decided to pick up a set of 5 locking pliers - something that I don't have in my toolbox. I'll give those a shot first.

Found all kinds of other goodies for stripped bolt removal. Found these gizmos that you tap or hammer in (after driling) and then undo with a socket / rachet. Guess I'm not the first guy to have stripped a bolt eh?

Mike - I picked up a good set of combination wrenches that go down all the way to 6 mm. They are tiny! Odd going under the tractor with a little wrench like a 7 mm :)

/ Stripped breather bolt
I got the breather taken care of last night so I thought I'd write an update. Thanks for all who posted. I tried visegrips - no luck. Finally a little teeny tiny pipe wrench did the trip. A new breather plug was $1.97 and my local Kubota dealer even had it in stock!

All greased up now and I didn't over tighten this time. I also put a bit of some anti-seize stuff on the new bolt before putting it on.