Stuck in the pond

/ Stuck in the pond #111  
Could be but, I've always seemed to get better traction going ahead then in reverse.
Hasn't matter which tractor it was 2 or 4wd.

/ Stuck in the pond #112  
I've always wondered what a 100lb delta boat anchor would do for a winch point. Even if it was used on the hitch of the recovery vehicle just aft of the vehicle then the winch did the work.
Its called a "dead man".... You can use a length of chain or tow strap and bury a spare tire or a log in the dirt and do somewhat of same thing.... The thing is with the anchor is since its pointed it tends to go deeper into soil as pull increases, the deeper it goes the more holding power....

Last edited:
   / Stuck in the pond #113  
You can pull out a somewhat heavier stuck vehicle with a lighter Jeep /winch combo even with Jeep in the same mud. Just grab a couple firewood rounds and stuff them at 45* angle against the tires.

They make amazing blocks or wedges to add resistance to the Jeep. I have done this before and it worked. The blocks dug in and stopped the Jeep from sliding and the winch did the rest.
Way ahead of you on that...

/ Stuck in the pond #114  
Could be but, I've always seemed to get better traction going ahead then in reverse.
Hasn't matter which tractor it was 2 or 4wd.
Well Lou, 4wd will get one stuck worse.

/ Stuck in the pond #115  
I got stuck in the pond (actually a swamp) today!
Tried to get too close.

1698457942830.jpeg

Good thing I had the R-1 equipped tractor there, too.

Got stuck 3 more times after this picture. I figure its better than weed wacking.

/ Stuck in the pond #116  
I got stuck in the pond.
Got stuck 3 more times after this picture. I figure its better than weed wacking.

This makes me smile.

I’ve gotten stuck multiple times in one mowing session and always thought “what a fool I am - not learning that it’s muddy near those pools of water”!!!

Glad others hate weed whipping.

/ Stuck in the pond #117  
I think that is because for ag work as the tractors got 4wd the implements got bigger and heavier. And I haven't seen to much difference in getting them unstuck , it seems that it works best when the unsticking vehicle is much stronger then the stuck one.

/ Stuck in the pond #118  
Well, it finally happened. I've only got about 100 hours on my yanmar YT 359 tractor. Just long enough to feel comfortable and try and do something I probably shouldn't have.
I was adding a run for my meat pigs to have access to the pond for water. I got a little too aggressive on how far I could drive out and scrape backwards with the bucket. My pond has a lot of that super sticky, gross, squishy, black muck, and I sure enough got stuck.
I tried all of the tricks with pushing the bucket down and lifting the front and going backwards and everything I could possibly do. I had it in four-wheel drive and the diff lock engaged, everything to no avail.
I ended up getting my farm truck out with a long chain to help move the tractor backwards. The wife was kind enough to steer the truck while I worked the tractor backwards.
Moral of the story, don't bite off more than you can chew, or dig!!
Try to use a tractor as a boat, you're gonna get that.

/ Stuck in the pond #119  
It can. Depends on the operator. Once I know I ain‘t moving, I stop and get another tractor. Its the times that you di yourself into 2 trenches that make it more difficult.

/ Stuck in the pond #120  
It can. Depends on the operator. Once I know I ain‘t moving, I stop and get another tractor. Its the times that you di yourself into 2 trenches that make it more difficult.
Not all of us have that second tractor to fall back on. However, you are right; knowing when to stop can make a big difference in retrieval. So far I've always managed to get myself out of any mess I've gotten myself into. 🤞