Stuck tractor

/ Stuck tractor #31  
I have about 6-7 acres of swamp on my place. I get buried in mud on a regular basis. If the 4WD and the FEL can't get me out, here's what I do..
Take a 2x6 about 8-10 ft long.
Chain one end to the left rear tire.
Chain the other end to the right rear tire.
Put the tractor in low and drive over the board.
The board acts like the paddle on a paddlewheel boat.
BE VERY CAREFUL. Once you drive over the board, it will come up and hit the tractor if you go too far.
You may have to reposition the board and drive over it several times before you get to solid ground, but it works very well. It will even lift my tractor with the 6ft bushog attached.
I have driven through some stuff I couldn't even walk through on foot using this method.
I keep two pieces of chain just the right length with hooks attached to both ends and a board about 3 feet wider than my tractor for just this purpose.
P.S. This method will usually cause a coating of mud to cover the operator.

/ Stuck tractor #32  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have about 6-7 acres of swamp on my place. I get buried in mud on a regular basis. If the 4WD and the FEL can't get me out, here's what I do..
Take a 2x6 about 8-10 ft long.
Chain one end to the left rear tire.
Chain the other end to the right rear tire.
Put the tractor in low and drive over the board.
The board acts like the paddle on a paddlewheel boat.
BE VERY CAREFUL. Once you drive over the board, it will come up and hit the tractor if you go too far.
You may have to reposition the board and drive over it several times before you get to solid ground, but it works very well. It will even lift my tractor with the 6ft bushog attached.
I have driven through some stuff I couldn't even walk through on foot using this method.
I keep two pieces of chain just the right length with hooks attached to both ends and a board about 3 feet wider than my tractor for just this purpose.
P.S. This method will usually cause a coating of mud to cover the operator. )</font>

I'm sure we'll all agree it isn't the safest thing, but I did it a few times with my old Ford 600 (2wd and no loader). Now with 4WD, a loader, a better understanding of where my mucky swamps are located, and some hard-earned respect for the weight of a tractor, I luckily haven't had to try it lately. It also works with logs, and in some cases a separate short log chained to each wheel. A single board works well when backing up, but if you need to go forward you have to first tunnel through the muck to get the board in front of both wheels. Nothing can compare to the awesome spectacle of the tractor slowly and proudly rising up out of the swamp under its own power, especially after a few hours of cursing and trying other methods. (If we really weren't meant to do this, they wouldn't have put openings between the wheel center and rim to slip the chain through!) But seriously, do go very slowly and carefully because what goes around, comes (back) around...

/ Stuck tractor #33  
The board think sounds cool I will try it next with my dozer. I have had dozers stuck more than once. I know when to stop before I dig way in. I got my wide pad LGP d4c stuck a few weeks ago in a hole I dug a tree out of. It was a large tree last year when it was supper dry. The dirt that went back in the hole was clay powder. This is what I did. I was by myself. I went to get my 65hp 4wd tractor. I have the BB on the back and 2, 55 gal drums full of water for ballast it also has a FEL. I got a big chain and hooked from draw bar to draw bar. Here is were it got tricky and not recommended. I put the tractor in Low Low left in gear then ran to the dozer and put in reverse at idle speed. I hopped of the dozer went back to the tractor locked the rear and opened the fuel up a little. I could not believe the 6,000lb tractor was helping the 18,000lb dozer out of the hole. Right when the dozer started to break out I shut the tractor down and ran back to the dozer. I hopped back up on the track and reached in to kick to dozer out of gear. I am glade my young boys did not see me do that.
I have a 8" piece of 12 I beam that would work good to use like you guys use the board. Short pieces of hooks and chains welded to the beam and hooked on the tracks.
John

/ Stuck tractor #34  
Did you have someone film that? It would be priceless for your kids when they grow up! Wow, a great stunt. Glad you and your machinery lived through it.
Jim

/ Stuck tractor #35  
If I had someone to film it they would have bee on the tractor. My 9 year old can drive our little Kubota L175 good. i would have had him on the dozer.
John

/ Stuck tractor #36  
I use the BH of my L39 often several times each work session to get the tractor out of some very sticky situations. will the BH on a BX 23 completely lift the machine?

On every important thing to learn and remember is to know when you are getting stuck, don't just keep pushing on trying to make it through. You won't make it.

As soon as you realize you are in trouble, try getting out. If you must , then use care and pull yourelf or swing yourself away to better groud with the hoe.

/ Stuck tractor #37  
Glad this was a rented unit. Water over the hood is very bad for it.

Uhmm... for future reference, tell you buddy he should stop driving when he hits surf /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-JC

/ Stuck tractor #38  
Glad this was a rented unit. Water over the hood is very bad for it.

Uhmm... for future reference, tell you buddy he should stop driving when he hits surf /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-JC