Studding pickup truck tires need info asap

/ Studding pickup truck tires need info asap #1  

diesel lover

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferg. To 20, 1956 Massey F. MF 25 diesel, Ferg. 40, 1944 John D. A, 1965 cockshutt 40,
I have a 97 f150 long bed 2 wd open differential. You guys helped me out with figuring out how to get more traction. I have 300 pounds of weight over my axle now and that helped a lot as I have light duty suspention.

I found out it IS legal to stud your tires here. WHere can I get them done? Will it hurt to run tires on 20 mile trips of pavement? Can I have my current drive tires studded then remove them in march? Next year I plan on buying two snow tires and leaving them studded. we are getting an ice storm this way and people don't know how to drive. Any information on studding my tires would be helpful. I grew up with tire chains on the tractor I figure studs and weight in the back will make quite a difference

/ Studding pickup truck tires need info asap #2  
To start you need new stud able winter tires, and a tire shop capable of studing them, might be a tough find if your down south.
The studs will stand up untill the tire is half worn then there not much help any more.

/ Studding pickup truck tires need info asap
To start you need new stud able winter tires, and a tire shop capable of studing them, might be a tough find if your down south.
The studs will stand up untill the tire is half worn then there not much help any more.

So its hard/ or impossible to add studs to tires if they are not pinned for them? My last f150 years ago I bought winter tires for it and they were already pinned for easy stud installing. I hope I can install studs in my current tires because so many people like to follow me too closely on the free way and too many people stop before icy hills. Its hard to start out on ice from a dead stop

/ Studding pickup truck tires need info asap #4  
If it is done today, the same way it was done 45 years ago, you can't stud used tires. Back then, just about any place that sold tires could stud them with a hand held gun that shot them in with compressed air. The bad thing about studded tires is that traction on dry pavement is decreased. Stopping distances are increased quite a bit.

Last edited:
If it is done today, the same way it was done 45 years, you can't stud used tires. Back then, just about any place that sold tires could stud them with a hand held gun that shot them in with compressed air. The bad thing about studded tires is that traction on dry pavement is decreased. Stopping distances are increased quite a bit.

So stopping distances are increased? Well that makes sence as you are removing the tread of the tire from contact on the road a small amount. I guess if I cant get these tires studded I will wait till next snow season. I can buy winter drive tires and leave them studded. My plan is to leave the steer tires unstudded. 70 % of braking is normally done in the front so I can definitely leave those unstudded.

When I lived in Michigan tires were illegal to stud for personal vehicles. I was shocked to find that studded tires are legal here.

/ Studding pickup truck tires need info asap #6  
Check where you live but I think most states allow studs for just a few months during the winter. They cause too much damage to the roads during warm weather.

its legal from November to march here. In Michigan it was not legal due to damage of the roads. Quite surpising its legal here but yet Michigan gets more snow. Lots of ice here though

/ Studding pickup truck tires need info asap #8  
70% front braking...yep, which--among other reasons-- is why all advise running four (4) studded snow tires (or any sort of snow tire, in fact) ...Tirerack dot com can show you pretty much what would be available for your vehicle ...incidentally, if you decide on dedicated winter tires, you might be tempted to "upsize", but it turns out, it is better to "downsize" and/or choose the highest aspect ratio tire (skinny and tall, rather than fat and flat).

given the age of your vehicle, traction control is not an issue, but if you had it, then you can't count on your 70% braking ratio.

/ Studding pickup truck tires need info asap #9  
I live in northern Alberta and we can run studs chains whatever we want all year round if we deem it is needed for safety. First only new tires can be studded second tall skinny and third PLEASE PLEASE do all four corners. Up hear you can only buy winter tires in sets of four if you are having them installed at the shop. I may be young but **** do I know about ice driving