Stump bucket discussion

/ Stump bucket discussion #1  

gladehound

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS, Exmark Laser Z, Kioti LB1914
I think I've read every thread on stump buckets at TBN. Some people really like them, some think they are worthless. I'm starting this thread to have a discussion about what features in a stump bucket make it a good one versus not so good AND what to consider about your tractor before buying a stump bucket.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought at Spartin Profesisonal Series Stump bucket. I really love it! I think it is more versatile than my standard bucket. In the week I've had it I've removed a stump much easier than I could with a full size bucket, transplanted two raspberry bushes, and moved some huge logs around that never would have fit in my regular bucket.

The features that I think make this stump bucket good is the even width bucket bottom (I can easily sink it in the ground to the mounting plate), the low profile tip, a fulcrum point that is 15" forward of the loader pivot point to help with prying, a length that is manageable for my curl cylinders (tip is 50" past loader pivot pin), good teeth up the side of the bucket, and curved bucket sides.

The features that I think make it useable on my tractor are a high operating platform to see over hood, a strong loader, and a decent amount of weight.

There are many stump buckets out there. Some designs make absolutely no sense to me. Some are very good. I'd consider my stump bucket to be a mid-grade bucket. There are much higher end buckets like the Spartin industrial series of the Blue Diamond stump bucket. These have curved bottoms and are much longer. I've never used either but in theory they would allow even more leverage to pry things out of the ground at the expense that you may need to be more cautious not to hurt your machine. In some applications, these longer buckets should put less stress on your machine. However, there are scenarios where they would put more stress on your machines.

That's enough for now. Interested to hear experiences with bucket / machine combos that work, ones that do not work, and why.

Attachments

• Tractor w new stump bucket.jpg
    Tractor w new stump bucket.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 4,117
  • Tractor with log.jpg
    Tractor with log.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 1,797
   / Stump bucket discussion #2  
What I like about mine is that it's both a stump bucket AND a grapple. I can dig out a cedar tree with the stump bucket part and then grab it with the grapple and haul it to the burn pile.

What I don't like about it is that I can't see what the tip of the bucket is doing from the tractor seat. I have to operate by feel and by watching the level indicator on my loader arms. This thing would be GREAT on a skid steer where you're sitting right on top of the action and could see what you're doing.

Oh, another thing I like about it is that the price was right. This one is what I would consider to be medium duty, and I think it was about $750 with shipping.

Full%20Size%20%28Screen%20Sharpen%29%20DSC-1000409-L.jpg

Full%20Size%20%28Screen%20Sharpen%29%20DSC-1000410-L.jpg

photo-7-L.jpg

/ Stump bucket discussion #3  
By the way, Ron that's quite a log you're hauling with yours.

/ Stump bucket discussion
That log was just about the limit for my FEL and definitely the limit if I don't add more ballast. With 1700 pounds of tire fill, rear blade, brush cage, the back end was still barely on the ground. At least it wasn't far to my wood pile.

I like your grapple and want to get one at some point. I'm torn between a root grapple (and style of root grapple), or a grapple for the stump bucket. I used to also consider putting a grapple on my standard bucket but I can see now that the stump bucket would be so much better with a grapple than the standard bucket because of that long curved sides that work great already for picking things up and would be that much better with a grapple.

Today I tackled 2 stumps. The first was a piece of cake. I plunged the bucket down wiggled it with the curl cylinders to get about 2 ft down and then pried the stump in the picture up on my first try. But then I tackled a 13 inch black walnut that was cut flush to the ground. It would not pop out so I dug half way around it breaking surface roots until my girl's asked me to play soccer. I'll have to dig out the other side another time. Broke som big roots. Biggest around 8 inch diameter and I couldn't do that with my standard bucket. With my standard bucket I would have to break roots with the corner of the bucket which would stress my loader arm on one side. With the stump bucket you're always putting the force right in the middle of the two loader arms so there is no twisting. Seems much easier on the loader arms.

image.jpg

/ Stump bucket discussion #6  
I built one this past fall which more or less followed the design/specs of W. R. Long's smaller offering ... which is probably about right for the size tractor we have.

They call it a "tree spade" ... I've referred to it as a "shrub bucket" ... because that's mainly what I intended to use it for: transplanting shrubs ... although I wouldn't shy away from using it to dig up stumps.

I used a solid 1/4" thick SSQA plate and built the sides, bottom, and gussets out of 1/4" plate as well. It has a 30" reach (length), 9" wide at the front and bottom rear, with the top of the sides spreading to 30". Took a piece of 3/8" bar stock and ground an edge on it for a cutting edge. Also used some 5/8" solid round on the bottom to stiffen it up a bit.

Probably have about $150 or so in it (the SSQA plate was $100 itself)

Need to get some paint on it, but here are a couple of pics from "testing", right after I finished it this past fall:

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

/ Stump bucket discussion #7  
Over the last couple years I have used my stump bucket to transplant several rose, lilac, and spirea bushes. Using the bucket to dig a hole where I want the bush and then dig up the bush to move it. Sometimes I had to finish cleaning out the hole with a shovel to make sure there would be enough room for the roots. Dump the spoil next to where the bush will be taken out so to fill in the hole. The narrow width of the stump bucket makes it easy to split large bushes into smaller segments to space them out. The spirea were transplanted right before cold weather set in. We did not know if they would make it through winter. This spring all the bushes have really taken off and are looking good.

I built one this past fall which more or less followed the design/specs of W. R. Long's smaller offering

Nice project! I really like that it is only 9 inches wide on the bottom and the same width on the bottom all the way back. I'll bet that really makes it easy to push into the ground. I think your design with the sharpened edges is probably better for transplanting than mine. Mine works fine but I'd think you could get a cleaner hole with yours since it is a sharpened edge with no bucket teeth.

I looked at some more spade style buckets. However, I have some concrete removal to do this summer. So I wanted some beefy teeth in the front to pry with without bending anything.

Nice work!

/ Stump bucket discussion #9  
Nice project!
Thanks.

Couple more pics of the build - bottom showing the 5/8" solid rod I used to stiffen up the bucket:

IMG_1688.JPG

Welded on a piece of 3/8" x 1 1/2" bar stock at a 90 degree angle to the SSQA plate, across the bottom, to make it less likely to bend the attachment plate. The top of the SSQA plate already had a similar piece of 3/8" bar welded on as part of the attachment method:

IMG_1691.JPG

I really like that it is only 9 inches wide on the bottom and the same width on the bottom all the way back. I'll bet that really makes it easy to push into the ground.
Yup, it goes in fairly easy ... particularly if the ground is at all moist.

I haven't tried it yet since I got my ballast block done. (Overall on a general basis, one of the biggest issues I've had is running out traction before I run out of horsepower - since the tractor is so light. 1200 lbs of rear ballast should help that ;))

I think your design with the sharpened edges is probably better for transplanting than mine. Mine works fine but I'd think you could get a cleaner hole with yours since it is a sharpened edge with no bucket teeth.
I actually have three Fabco teeth for it that I haven't managed to get around to putting on ... dunno when - or if - I will.

I looked at some more spade style buckets. However, I have some concrete removal to do this summer. So I wanted some beefy teeth in the front to pry with without bending anything.
Makes total sense.

Mine is probably heavy enough for our little tractor ... but if I had a larger, more powerful tractor I'd sure want something more substantial.

Nice work!
Thanks.

/ Stump bucket discussion #10  
Over the last couple years I have used my stump bucket to transplant several rose, lilac, and spirea bushes. Using the bucket to dig a hole where I want the bush and then dig up the bush to move it. Sometimes I had to finish cleaning out the hole with a shovel to make sure there would be enough room for the roots. Dump the spoil next to where the bush will be taken out so to fill in the hole.
:thumbsup:

The narrow width of the stump bucket makes it easy to split large bushes into smaller segments to space them out.
We've got one forsythia bush that has put up additional stems probably 18" to 24" from the main clump ... like you say, it should work great to thin them out.

The spirea were transplanted right before cold weather set in. We did not know if they would make it through winter. This spring all the bushes have really taken off and are looking good.
Nice to know you were fully rewarded for your efforts ... ;)

I picked up four ornamental trees at TSC on closeout last fall for $5 a pop ... tried to make sure that I picked out the best of what they had, but they were all pretty rough looking and I wasn't sure they would make it, given the really cold temps we've had.

All four have managed to make it through winter and the buds are starting to pop open here this last week.