Stump Bucket?

/ Stump Bucket? #12  
I just got a stump bucket from Piranha Attachments at Mid State Equipment Sales In Denton,NC. Pretty much the same thing as you have pictured. I have not used it yet, but my thots on its utility reflect yours. I have a Mahindra 7520 4WD and have been frustrated by having to engage too much earth w my 6' bucket when stumping. I anticipate much better ability to dig in around and cut roots and dislodge soil. I will look for a pine to dig up and let you know - - probably by the weekend.
Larry /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stump Bucket? #13  
I just got a stump bucket from Piranha Attachments at Mid State Equipment Sales In Denton,NC. Pretty much the same thing as you have pictured. I have not used it yet, but my thots on its utility reflect yours. I have a Mahindra 7520 4WD and have been frustrated by having to engage too much earth w my 6' bucket when stumping. I anticipate much better ability to dig in around and cut roots and dislodge soil. I will look for a pine to dig up and let you know - - probably by the weekend.
Larry /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stump Bucket? #16  
I used the stump bucket for 5 minutes and blew one of the loader bucket cylinder piston packings. I have the approved Mahindra 7520 package - factory installed 275 FEL so it will be covered under warrantee. They are aware of the problem and have a design update to correct it.

In the short time I used it I could tell that you could fairly quickly make progress but only in small bites. The gist of it is that you cant push far. You are essentially pushing a prism with one open side into the ground. The wedge effect is bad enuff, but with low attack angle the backplate hits quickly and you are definitely stopped. So you try a higher attack angle and the heavy hydraulic loading under push pops a bucket cylinder. I didnt get a chance to learn any finesse, but I can tell this item can be a powerful tool. A 6" oak stump next to the 18" pine was not even felt. Good sized roots were coming out with each pass. You just have to figure out where to nibble next. You cant get much dirt in the bucket because of its small mouth. Im guessing some refinement is in order, but not near ready to decide on what. Ill post again after Ive used it a bit. First the loader cylinders!
Larry

/ Stump Bucket? #17  
I used the stump bucket for 5 minutes and blew one of the loader bucket cylinder piston packings. I have the approved Mahindra 7520 package - factory installed 275 FEL so it will be covered under warrantee. They are aware of the problem and have a design update to correct it.

In the short time I used it I could tell that you could fairly quickly make progress but only in small bites. The gist of it is that you cant push far. You are essentially pushing a prism with one open side into the ground. The wedge effect is bad enuff, but with low attack angle the backplate hits quickly and you are definitely stopped. So you try a higher attack angle and the heavy hydraulic loading under push pops a bucket cylinder. I didnt get a chance to learn any finesse, but I can tell this item can be a powerful tool. A 6" oak stump next to the 18" pine was not even felt. Good sized roots were coming out with each pass. You just have to figure out where to nibble next. You cant get much dirt in the bucket because of its small mouth. Im guessing some refinement is in order, but not near ready to decide on what. Ill post again after Ive used it a bit. First the loader cylinders!
Larry

/ Stump Bucket? #18  
I am in the process of building my own and I will be learning as you will also, I can't wait to play with this new attachment.
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stump Bucket? #19  
I am in the process of building my own and I will be learning as you will also, I can't wait to play with this new attachment.
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stump Bucket? #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am in the process of building my own and I will be learning as you will also, I can't wait to play with this new attachment.
Jim /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

It's like a "front hoe". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The skinnier the bucket, the more pressure on the roots! A 2 footer will get you 66% more power at the point of attack, an 18 incher even more. I suppose the steel will have to be much thicker than a standard bucket.

Don't know why they would want it tapered. I would make it straight or even a little reverse-tapered to relieve the dirt.