Stump grinder. Ventrac (front) vs Tractor (3pt rear)

/ Stump grinder. Ventrac (front) vs Tractor (3pt rear) #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I'm looking to possibly add a Ventrac, mostly for light brush hogging on slopes and hard to reach areas.

But, they also offer a front mount stump grinder. I have lots of stumps and have looked at the Woodland Mills rear PTO stump grinder.

Does anyone have advice or experience with using a lesser HP front mount stump grinder, or a higher horsepower rear PTO stump grinder? I did see some comments about the rear unit being hard to see and requiring lots of turning around to look at, which got old. But the Ventrac unit isn't visible at all, and they supply a mirror to look at it while cutting?

/ Stump grinder. Ventrac (front) vs Tractor (3pt rear) #2  
I have a power-trac which I would offer as an alternative to the Ventrac (both good machines, I personally like the PT and its flexibility with implements over the Ventrac).

My stump grinder is front mounted and there are some pros (front mounted) and a lot of cons. Hard to see, you use the machine to create your cutting speed, it is Hydraulic so not as efficient as direct drive. I built my own stump grinder and it is side mounted so I go back and forth to cut, not side to side. Power Trac is better as you can see, albiet you have to lean a bit, Ventrac completely blocks the grinding view. But I am producing 3000PSI at 18 gallons so cutting is relatively easy. Smaller machines have less flow and thus less efficient cutting.
You know the downsides of the rear mount.