Stump grinder..

/ Stump grinder.. #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
Well, if you have been watching closely, you’d have seen I recently upgraded tractors from a 34 hp to a 59hp with a cab..
And rear hydraulics..

Its a whole new world.. and many formerly not possible attachments.

I will soon be cutting 8-10 more trees.. and I need to just consider spending the $400 rental fee on a stump grinder myself..

Now, there are also another few trees that might be going away.

Anyway..

It appears the better ones and the more efficient ones have hydraulic side to side and up and down controls.. since I have rear remotes, this appears to be the better but more pricey option.

Titan, worksaver, and quick attach seems to be the more prevalent..

What do yall have?

/ Stump grinder.. #2  
For my purpose and the price, the Woodland Mills WG24 has served me well. ...since 2017. Did lots of stumps for several years , but not so many of recent. My tractor is only 26 HP...(19 PTO) without rear remotes. There are better ones out there however. I have had no issues with the grinder nor the service from the company.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Stump grinder.. #3  
I have the Shaver SC50. It goes up/down and side to side.
I’ve been extremely happy with it and have made a fair bit of money using it on random jobs when it’s needed.

I think the cheap Woodland Mills stumpgrinder can do a good enough job for the average homeowner considering how cheap it is, and value wise, probably hard to beat. That being said, I personally wouldn’t buy one for my own uses now that I’ve had the Shaver for many years.

The terrain you will use it on may contribute significantly to your decision. However, with that much power and the fact that you have rear hydraulics, I’d highly recommend this style in various manufacturers.

IMG_4596.jpeg

IMG_0258.png

IMG_7188.jpeg

/ Stump grinder.. #4  
I have a Woodland Mills WG24 and it seems to be a good unit for my situation: hydrostatic tractor and not a huge number of stumps to deal with.

It is simple, just drive shaft and flywheel. Literally a pain in the neck to use without the rear facing video camera setup, but I can live with it. Gets the job done with a little patience... Seems rugged and well built, but I've only had it a short time.

Would be terrible to try to use it with a gear-drive machine.

/ Stump grinder.. #5  
Mr Piston,

Your rig is more capable and convient to operate........ However, I, personally, would not refer to the Woodland Mills Stump Grinder as "cheap"....... just sayin':)

Cheers,
Mike

/ Stump grinder.. #6  
To answer the OP directly, I have a Quick Attach 24" hydraulically slewed and raised stump grinder on a 32hp, 5500 lb (+700 lbs for the grinder) tractor, and it bucks and bogs down on 10-12" stumps unless I take small passes at slow slewing speeds.

There are a great many threads on stumpgrinders; due diligence requires you read them, a daunting task. If I may summarize my own findings, the Woodland Mills is the smallest grinder most would consider. Many, like myself, who presumably did their research, are satisfied with what they have, but it is what they decided to buy and probably the only one they have experience with. Most of those who moved up to a heavier, more powerful tractor or larger grinder and powered it with a bigger machine opine they would never go back to the original "underpowered" set-up.

The reasons I went with QA were: Teeth on both sides of the wheel allows it to cut L to R and R to L. Many similar machines (24" "buzz-saw" chippers) grind only in one direction. The frame has provisions for additional (suitcase) weights, and weight is your friend. QA is a brother company to Erskine who has a good reputation. I bought on a Black Friday sale so freight was "free". None-the-less, total was about $5.5K which is ballpark for comparable from Shaver, Baumalite, and others.

A consideration I was unaware of at the time: Most of the smaller grinders have proprietary teeth, usually approx. 3/4" cubes and rather expensive. Some like Landpride, use Green teeth, a standard, industrial machine type that may be more economical in the long run.

/ Stump grinder.. #7  
I have a Landpride and I use it on either one of my geared M9's. I just have to run in creep range. My Landpride was around 5 grand last spring and it 'jumped' around until I added 100 pound suitcase weights on each side. That cured that issue.

The Landpride uses Green Teeth which are indexable to 3 different cutting edges and if the OP buys one like I have, he will need 2 complete sets of remotes, ie: 4 couplers. 2 for the slew and 2 for the lift.

I've wailed through some very large stumps with no issue.

The Landpride and the Shaver and the Erskine are all similar to each other.

/ Stump grinder.. #8  
I have a Woodland Mills WG24 and it seems to be a good unit for my situation: hydrostatic tractor and not a huge number of stumps to deal with.

Would be terrible to try to use it with a gear-drive machine.
NOT true at all, if the gear drive tractor has creep trans...

SR

/ Stump grinder.. #9  
NOT true at all, if the gear drive tractor has creep trans...

SR
I'll have to respectfully disagree with this.
I had a Woodland Mills WG24 on a JD 3038E and never once was I able to just creep forward at a constant speed. It's move a tiny bit, stop, move a little , stop. You have to vary the forward movement based on the current cut and the wood etc. You may start out moving some but then get into harder wood in the stump and have to stop or slow to barely moving at all. All of this while running the 3-point lever while twisted around so you can see what you are doing.
I'm sure people use these on tractors with a clutch but it would be beyond a pain!
I sold my Woodland Mills WG24 because I can take out a stump faster with my hands operated grinder.

/ Stump grinder.. #10  
I'll have to respectfully disagree with this.
I had a Woodland Mills WG24 on a JD 3038E and never once was I able to just creep forward at a constant speed. It's move a tiny bit, stop, move a little , stop. You have to vary the forward movement based on the current cut and the wood etc. You may start out moving some but then get into harder wood in the stump and have to stop or slow to barely moving at all. All of this while running the 3-point lever while twisted around so you can see what you are doing.
I'm sure people use these on tractors with a clutch but it would be beyond a pain!
I sold my Woodland Mills WG24 because I can take out a stump faster with my hands operated grinder.
And yet, I have THAT grinder on MY tractor,

Resized-20200925-152750-8929-S.jpg

and using creep gears, it works perfectly, I only have to touch the clutch when switching directions.

Glad I don't have it on a deere!

SR