Stump grinding???

/ Stump grinding??? #1  

Vineyard Dave

Currently Utah, moving back to Illinois soon.
Tractor
Still shopping. Seriously looking at a Branson 4720h.
I'm going to be clearing a lot of timber over the next few years (starting next summer) . I'm currently in the market for a tractor and am pretty serously looking at the Branson 4720h. For those of you who have had experience clearing timber and stumps, is that enough of a tractor to handle the job? I'm also considering the Branson 5530c.

Also, does anyone have an reccomendations on stump grinder attachments? Hydraulic or PTO? Does it matter? Any information you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Stump grinding??? #2  
Are you going to sell the timber? Do you want the hassle of grinding that many stumps? If you have a decent excavator or backhoe you might be happier pulling the stumps out and burning them. That way a few years down the road the rotting roots and stumps won't be leaving big divots on the land.
I don't have any experience with tractor power grinders. Just self propelled grinders. It is labor intensive with a small one.
If you sell some of the timber you might have a bid given to you with stump removal if the outfit wants to bid it for you that way. Especially all of the branches involved. Believe me it is a lot of work.

/ Stump grinding??? #4  
When doing the bidding, see if you can have them take the tops as well. Some do for pulp. I'm still clearing tops from the ground years after having timbering done. Oddly enough, some of the oak tops are still quite solid and burn well.