Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns?

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #21  
LD1, that's an interesting response. How is one to gain that experience? Wouldn't it suffice to explain the risks and to suggest an abundance of caution?

I am a tractor newbie myself but I didn't spend $30K to not use the thing. I'm just sayin ...

You gain experience by growing up around such equipment, and being familiar with your equipment to know its limitations. If one is asking these kind of questions, it is apparent that that person lacks the experience to do it safely, regardless of how many suggestions of caution are said.

There is no need to explain the risk in my post, as others have already said....flipping over.

I know my tractors limits. I can skid large logs by using the 3PH and a short chain to lift the log and drag. I know from experience that on level ground, my tractor will break tractor WAY before it flips. HAving the loader up front is a must.

But its not something you learn overnight, and not something for a less than skilled operator to attempt. I can feel IF and when the front gets light. And pulling slow while feathering the clutch. Again, learning my limits AND my tractors limits isnt something I learned overnight. It is from years of experience. And latching onto a stump, is pushing EVERYTHING to the limit ALL AT ONCE. and NOT something I recommend the OP doing.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #22  
LD1, that's an interesting response. How is one to gain that experience? Wouldn't it suffice to explain the risks and to suggest an abundance of caution?

I am a tractor newbie myself but I didn't spend $30K to not use the thing. I'm just sayin ...

Egbert, if you did not get your questions answered, PLEASE let us know. SAFETY is of primary importance. We want everyone going home their family each day without injury. Tractor flips usually kill the operator on older non-ROPS tractors.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #23  
Egbert, if you did not get your questions answered, PLEASE let us know. SAFETY is of primary importance. We want everyone going home their family each day without injury. Tractor flips usually kill the operator on older non-ROPS tractors.

Ditto.

Pulling from a high hitch on the 3PH is certainly something I would never advise anyone to do. Especially a newbie. I do it, but I am also very experienced and very well aware of the risks. But again, I would never advise anyone else to do like I do.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #24  
Tom, thanks, but I understood completely - basic phyics/logic. I just thought "Don't" was a little lacking in light of the original question and subsequent responses. No problem :)

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #25  
Tom, thanks, but I understood completely - basic phyics/logic. I just thought "Don't" was a little lacking in light of the original question and subsequent responses. No problem :)

I would agree.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns?
Thanks all for your interest in my project and my safety, after many hours of seat time I have learned to mitigate the risk of a flip over by counter balancing with family members in the FEL :). Good information concerning possible damage to the 3-pt, not something I am interested in breaking so I will stick with the drag-bar and try a shorter chain or just cut the dang things flush with the ground. Take Care All!

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #27  
Thanks all for your interest in my project and my safety, after many hours of seat time I have learned to mitigate the risk of a flip over by counter balancing with family members in the
Good information concerning possible damage to the 3-pt, not something I am interested in breaking so I will stick with the drag-bar and try a shorter chain or just cut the dang things flush with the ground. Take Care All!

I hope you were joking about family members FEL :). If not stand back.

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #28  
The concern about a full flip over when pulling from your 3 point stems from the elevation your chain is connected at the rear of the tractor. If your chain is lower than the rear axle, the tractor front is pushed down when pulling. If the 3 point is raised higher than the axle, the tractor front is LIFTED when pulling and if you have solid traction, your tractor rear tires keep going and the front flips over backwards.

If you have trouble imaging this, think about hooking a chain to the top of your ROPS or cab. Then hook the other end to a solid immovable object and imagine driving forward with good traction. Your front will raise up, putting even more weight on your rear wheels giving them more traction.. Say you are in full throttle decreasing your reaction ability, your rear tires keep going but the top of your ROPS (or cab) stays still. So the tractor flips over backwards in a heartbeat. It literally is that fast.

I believe the OP was talking about lifting with the 3 point and the tractor front can raise up in that case. Once the 3 point is above the axle combined with going forward is a sure way to flip a tractor backwards on top of the operator.

8N Ford tractor rolls over backwards - YouTube

This tractor pull event had horrible officials that obviously didn't know the basics of this problem.

Here's another horrible example: 1948 Ford Tractor Pulls Out a Stump (The Wrong Way) - YouTube

/ Stump Pulling with 3-Point - Any concerns? #30  
Do a dig with the fell on the tree. Then load the bucket with what're is heavy and available. Hitch up the three point real short on the tee and lift as you slowly go ahead.:)

Pines are usually shallow rooted.