stump/root killer

/ stump/root killer #1  

otis whitehead

Tractor
long agribuisness 45 hp
something i have been working on that i think a few of yall might like! A root knife/ stump puller. all hand made in the great U.S.A.

Attachments

• Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 822
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 1,133
   / stump/root killer #2  
Show us more detail. Tell us how you made it.

Looks great.

Clem

/ stump/root killer
I got the idea to make a root cutter to help cut ditches here on the property. The blade that i have would ride out of the cut on the roots. So i had some 1.25 inch plate that had been laying around.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 483
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    866 KB · Views: 481
   / stump/root killer
I notched the plate and the 4X4 3/8 thick angle iron so could weld both sides.(that first pic on the last post i think you can see the welds) After welding the plate to the angle iron i took a section of pipe and welded it to the plate and the angle iron. Then boxed the angle with a second 4X4 again full welds around the pipe and along all edges.Used 1/2 in plate and drill press to fab my plates for the pins and full pen welded them inplace.i am lucky i have a shop to work in that lets me use the big miller 250 wirefeed welders any time i want.

/ stump/root killer
If you look at the end of the point you can see a fatal flaw...A flat spot on the point. Didnt think that little spot would keep this chunck of iron from going into the ground but BOY WAS I WRONG. Ended up cutting a spade point on the end and now it forces itself into the ground like a plough.

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 488
   / stump/root killer #6  
Looks good! :thumbsup:

/ stump/root killer #7  
That's STOUT!! Looks like it does the job :thumbsup:

/ stump/root killer #8  
Looks good. My thought is if you could have made it longer from the 3pt hitch so that you don't have the rear tires in the way for a larger stump?

/ stump/root killer #9  
Looks good. My thought is if you could have made it longer from the 3pt hitch so that you don't have the rear tires in the way for a larger stump?

I use a subsoiler (similar idea) to cut roots & pull stumps (< 8") out and at first this tire/stump interference problem was a real show stopper. Whenever I wanted to drop the point to rip up the roots, one tire would start riding up on the stump & tipping the tractor over. So I started cutting the stumps off lower - a few inches above the ground - and that put an end to tippy tractor. Using the 3 point to pull straight up once you have hooked the stump really works unless there's a tap root to China.