Stumps/Grinders/Pasture

/ Stumps/Grinders/Pasture
So how does one get TheStuffThatGoesBoom under the stump? Dig a hole next to the pine stump? Hardwoods I can see how to do but the pines have me stumped! :cool:

Later....
Dan

I have talked with a two different tractor salesman about this who used to remove stumps with mules. They have been around awhile and they both said to use a backhoe to dig the roots out. I sure wish my granpa-in-law was still around since he could give me good advice. I know he would just burn the oak stumps when the trees fell since it was the easiest thing to do.

Trying to push the pine roots out of the ground has to be hard. The hardwoods I can see being easily done but those pines are going to be tough. I have a couple that are 30+ inches in diameter.

Has anyone dug BIG pines out with a backhoe? Or is it BigDozer time?

Thanks....
Dan DeStumpMan McCarty

/ Stumps/Grinders/Pasture #13  
The last time I did a job like this I was dealing with 15"-20" stumps cut at grade. I used my 580 Case and determined on which side of the stump to dig. First, I went to the opposite side and cut a ditch 2'-3' deep to remove any surface roots. Then I repositioned my machine and dug on both sides of the stump, forming a V. At 5'-6' I used the hoe to "rock" the stump and continued digging as necessary. On some of the 20" stumps I wound up going to 8' before I could pull them out. Even with backfilling and grading between each stump it was a slow and frustrating job that could have been avoided if the property owner had left 6' above grade so I could have used a heavy dozer.

As for blasting, regulations vary. Check to see what your state and local laws require, and if you need a license to purchase and use. Of course you need to place the charge correctly which requires boring a hole. When done correctly, the sound will be minimal and blast will only loosen the stump making machine removal far easier. Unlike using a machine, if blasting is done incorrectly you may not have a second chance.

/ Stumps/Grinders/Pasture #14  
If you use dynamite, be prepared for a whopping headache when you start handling it. The fumes can and will cause a whopper of a headache.

Dutchman,

How long did it take to dig out one of the large stumps?

Thanks!
Dan

I went to the ATF web site and looked up the regs on using/storing BoomBoomMaterial. Seemed pretty strict. I had read the farmers used the fertilizer/diesel fuel mix to form their explosive. From a storage safety and regulation point of view this would be the way to go. Effectiveness and MY safety is another question. I figured I could used a post hole digger to drill down a few feet to put in a charge. But this would be a whole new ball game and I'm going to have to learn a bunch more before I really started down this path! Could be fun though! :cool:

Seems like I would still need a back hoe to get the stumps
out.

Later.....
Dan

/ Stumps/Grinders/Pasture #17  
I had the same problem but about 15 acres 30% pine. I rented a track-hoe (sp?) With a thumb, did'nt have to move back and forth as with a dozer and after the first couple of days it only took 10-15 mins. for a good sized stump. But as you know 8 acres of stumps = a bunch of stumps = a lot of time. I work at night so i stumped all day and it took the better part of a month to get the job done, and I was a wore-out puppy afterwards. Hindsight I would have had it done ( I got quotes for $2000 an acre, stumped, cleaned, burned). But then again from the logging and doing it myself I saved enough to pay for the better half of my tractor.

My father-in-law works for NC DOT and he once told me that the state paid 1-2K/acre to clear land and another 1-2K/acre to put in pasture. I pretty sure he said 2,000/acre to clear and 2,000/acre to pasture but that just seem so expensuve I keep wishing I heard it wrong. Even at 1K per acre to clear and pasture means 16K to do what the wife wants.

One of the contractors I talked with about doing site prep for my house said about 15 minutes per stump. If it takes me a bit longer I don't really care since I have time but not money. :cool:

I'm going to walk the future pasture this weekend and count stumps. My wife counted stumps on the 5 acres for the house and hit 75. That area was selectively timbered where as the pasture area was heavy in pine and almost all was taken so I'm sure we are looking at 200+ stumps. Lots of time.

Thanks....
Dan

/ Stumps/Grinders/Pasture #19  
For me the track-hoe was the way to go, it was'nt cheap but with the dozer you tear the ground up with the back and forth, but with the track-hoe all you do is park in between a couple of stumps pull them , knock the dirt off the roots and move on. The key is to have the thumb on the bucket that way its alot easier to pickup and move the stumps when its time to stack and burn. Advantages over the dozer; pulling , cleaning, moving and stacking, digging the hole to bury what won't burn. Disadvantages, the dozer is much better at pushing around the tops and limbs that were left behind. I guess in the perfect world (thats the one where you have all the money you need) you would get both ;).
Tom H.

/ Stumps/Grinders/Pasture #20  
Never timed a job per stump (too many variables). I've spent 5 minutes on one big stump, and almost an hour on another. After you get a system going (very important), you should average 25-50 big stumps per day with a backhoe. If you don't develop a system you'll be getting in your own way. When I say "big" stumps I mean one that has to be dug with the hoe. My 580 has a 4in1 bucket that will extract most 10" and smaller stumps like pulling a tooth without digging. With the 4in1 bucket I can also move the big stumps out of my way very quickly.