stupid question - bucket removal

/ stupid question - bucket removal #21  
I have one pin that goes in hard but isn’t too bad to open. Sounds like yours is worse, I’d take a file or die grinder to the bucket opening on the hard side and just take a little off until it feels like the other. A hand file will let you do a few thousands at a time so you won’t take too much off.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #22  
I had just picked up the bucket and had it tilted back against the stops and the pins would not drop in. Usually take a pry bar and move it over a little. Pry bar was not handy so I just gave it a shove and the bucket popped off.

Happened on Nov 4 still in a cast. Doctor thought I might loose some toes but it has been healing good. Looked much better at last checkup. Another 2-3 weeks and hopefully I will be off the darn crutches.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #23  
Doofy - not sure I want to go making any changes just yet, even if it is a slight shave or so.

Looking4new - yeah, a pipe would probably be smarter than banging. thanks

rlgustafson - tractor is new. About 20 hours on it and I've pretty much had this problem all along. Nothing else in on the bucket and the pallet forks I have I can get on and off with no trouble. Because of storage i usually have to store the tractor with the bucket on the forks so every time I'm done with it, i have to take the bucket off and put the forks back on.

Davis- thanks for the safety reminder and real sorry you had to go through that!

I'm pretty sure everything is lined up properly but I'll take a closer look next time and also look for ware. It goes on with no trouble. I found a picture on my phone from the last time I tried taking it off. That is the height and the angle I was trying.

Everything looks good in the picture so I am guessing that the slots that the latch pins fit into are not perfectly aligned or milled-out correctly. Take a look at the slots with the latch pins engaged and see if it appears that way to you. I agree with some of the others....use a file or rotary tool and see if you can shave the slots slightly bigger....just enough to allow smooth operation of the latches. Normally the slots are made to allow for some play from side to side to accommodate slight differences in aligning the bucket. They are not load bearing and simply serve to allow the latch pin to pass through and engage the SSQC.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #24  
I had just picked up the bucket and had it tilted back against the stops and the pins would not drop in. Usually take a pry bar and move it over a little. Pry bar was not handy so I just gave it a shove and the bucket popped off.

Happened on Nov 4 still in a cast. Doctor thought I might loose some toes but it has been healing good. Looked much better at last checkup. Another 2-3 weeks and hopefully I will be off the darn crutches.

My best wishes to you for a full recovery. I really feel for you.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #25  
I didn't see any grease fittings near the pins...Are there any? Grease is cheap and your best friend.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #26  

Best of luck with your healing, glad all is going well. Looks like you were very lucky not to lose those little piggies.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #27  
Doofy - not sure I want to go making any changes just yet, even if it is a slight shave or so.

rlgustafson - tractor is new. About 20 hours on it and I've pretty much had this problem all along. Nothing else in on the bucket and the pallet forks I have I can get on and off with no trouble. Because of storage i usually have to store the tractor with the bucket on the forks so every time I'm done with it, i have to take the bucket off and put the forks back on.

Davis- thanks for the safety reminder and real sorry you had to go through that!

I'm pretty sure everything is lined up properly but I'll take a closer look next time and also look for ware. It goes on with no trouble. I found a picture on my phone from the last time I tried taking it off. That is the height and the angle I was trying.

First step would be to figure out exactly what the hang up is. Maybe a better light or better eyes would help. Shouldn't be anything to serious or complicated.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #28  

I’m thinking that the upper flanges on your FEL were not fully in the receiving area on your bucket. If they were, pushing laterally on the bucket would not let it fall off. Think about it?

Line up.
Move forward.
Lift.
Curl back.
Rotate lock arms.

Get to work!

/ stupid question - bucket removal #29  

Looking at your picture, your bucket is offset right by an inch or two. The slots on bucket allow for some mis-alignment but, you may be outside of that range.

Try this;

Align your SSQD as close as you can see.
Curl SSQD forward of vertical.
Lift, a few inches, to engage bucket, visually assure that upper SSQA ears are fully engaged in upper flanges on your bucket.
Curl back.
Check centering of bucket.
Use a pry bar, if needed to center bucket. Please don’t have your feet, or anything else, under bucket.
Try rotating lock arms.
If difficult, note which one or if both.
Raise bucket high enough to see lock pins relationship with bucket lower slots.
If you see obvious interference with slots and bucket is truly centered, you have two choices.

Get dealer to resolve this.

Or

As others have noted, remove some metal in slots in appropriate places to give your pins room to engage fully.

Trust me this should not be as hard as it’s been for you.

Let us know how above works for you. We’re all here to make your life easier.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #30  

Not that it makes a difference on the release pins but compared to my loader release handles yours are bent back. I sometimes have a problem when I disengage an attachment the levers seem to go over center and the round latching pins come out of the holes and cock sidewise. I've learned not to let the handle over center. Pics attached of yours and mine.

Attachments

• release handles.jpg
    release handles.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • DSCN1082 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1082 (Medium).JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 153