Sub soiler: want to build

/ Sub soiler: want to build #1  

psient

Bronze Member
Hi:

I've a Kubota L4400. I need a sub soiler. I was thinking of building my own . . . fashioned after the Fred Cain version. I will use a sheer bolt on the design.

Anyone built their own? Do you have the dimensions/materials. What would you suggest? I need this for my vegetable garden. I have an extreme problem with clay hard pan and subsequent lack of drainage.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:
   / Sub soiler: want to build #2  
something I made

Attachments

• ducks10 006.jpg
    ducks10 006.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 663
   / Sub soiler: want to build #4  
Here is a picture of the sub-soiler I built. I used `1" x 4" steel for the main shaft. No shear bolt, but I don't have big stones. Not pretty, but works great.

Attachments

• 100_3640.JPG
    100_3640.JPG
    404.1 KB · Views: 527
  • 100_3643.JPG
    100_3643.JPG
    521.2 KB · Views: 465
   / Sub soiler: want to build
something I made

Your tine arrangement :) looks extremely effective but I need something deeper. My rototiller will get to about 8 inches. Beneath that it's hardpan. I'd like to get another 10 inches if not a little more.

Jon

Here is a picture of the sub-soiler I built. I used `1" x 4" steel for the main shaft. No shear bolt, but I don't have big stones. Not pretty, but works great.

Hi:

What are the thicknesses of the material you used?

Jon

/ Sub soiler: want to build #7  
Your tine arrangement :) looks extremely effective but I need something deeper. My rototiller will get to about 8 inches. Beneath that it's hardpan. I'd like to get another 10 inches if not a little more.

Jon

I don't know if you have enough hp at the drawbar with your tractor to pull more than a single shank ripper that deep. A parabolic ripper like this one may get your job done

http://www.worksaver.com/Manuals/r130-ws.pdf

/ Sub soiler: want to build #8  

Jon
you could start with the arrangement I have and have a couple shanks with extensions welded to them, they are standard scarifier shanks like you'd find in a box blade

as is I can get about 12" or so deep

you could start with the arrangement I have and have a couple shanks with extensions welded to them, they are standard scarifier shanks like you'd find in a box blade

as is I can get about 12" or so deep

Hi:

I did that on my drag bucket ripper tool bar. Hit a buried fence post footing and broke the weld :(. That was enough to convince me of a shear bolt configuration.

Thanks,

Jon