Subaru mechanic or experience on here?

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #22  
Coworker has a new Forester, and it has an intermittent oil consumption problem. He is currently bringing it to the dealer once a week so they can check the oil level. Of course it hasn't budged since he started doing this. The other issue is paint chips on the hood. Another known problem apparently. He counted something like fifty chips down to the primer and a few down to metal ( aluminum hood ).

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #23  
Coworker has a new Forester, and it has an intermittent oil consumption problem. He is currently bringing it to the dealer once a week so they can check the oil level. Of course it hasn't budged since he started doing this. The other issue is paint chips on the hood. Another known problem apparently. He counted something like fifty chips down to the primer and a few down to metal ( aluminum hood ).

A clear bra is the answer to paint chips on the hood/front bumper of any car. I put one on my 2000 Honda Accord when it was new and it performed so well within a week of buying my Forester I installed one on it. Note though, it was a tough install on the Forester ... lots of curves. I used the 3M Ventureshield.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #24  
A clear bra is the answer to paint chips on the hood/front bumper of any car. I put one on my 2000 Honda Accord when it was new and it performed so well within a week of buying my Forester I installed one on it. Note though, it was a tough install on the Forester ... lots of curves. I used the 3M Ventureshield.

He would have to do the whole hood, it's not just the leading edge.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #25  
VDC Outback and later 05 Outback XT were VTD, with something like 45% front / 55% rear default bias, rear LSD
I still have a 2006 Outback 3.0R with the VTD, which has a planetary center differential (unlike most Crossover AWD systems these days). It has an aluminum hood but does not suffer from the paint chip issue others mention. It will turn 175,000 miles today and I plan to keep it for a long time hence as it is such a good fit for my requirements: Labrador carrying, skiing, boat launching, car pool, all-weather fighter. We use Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 winter tires Andy switched to Nokian NTyres for rest-of year. Also switched to KYB struts.

Maintenance since new is tuneups, tires and brakes, exhaust, two rear hubs, a radiator, and we recently replaced all three O2 sensors. I might have replaced the front wheel bearings but I think the front axles are original: they usually only last about 150,000 miles.

Oil capacity of the 3.0R is 5.8 quarts. I've used synthetic since new at the 7,500 interval.

My WRX only has 82,000 miles. We've replaced the clutch, and the power steering and AC compressor failed, which is unusual. Has Koni shocks and 16" winter tires. I have the forged BBS alloy wheels for summer, which way 15 lbs and are hella strong.
i-425WvcF-L.jpg

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #26  
   / Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #27  
We have a 2015 model outback. The outback and Legacy are Assembled in my home state Indiana with something like 50% domestic parts. This is one of the main reasons we purchased this car and so far have been very happy with our decision. We toured factory it is a amazing facility 0% landfill lots of American workers located in Lafayette Indiana. The Forster and Impreza are like 99% import but they are supposed to start building the Impreza here within the next couple of years. Currently I believe there is a 4 to 8 week wait on any new outback or legacy ordered. No problems here on oil consumption. I am very impressed with what Subaru is doing. My wife absolutely loves it. Try to get the legacy or outback if you can.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #28  
lots of talk about oil consumption, me I been a ford owner driver after owning just about everything else first. Found I can ALWAYS go oil change to oil change without adding a drop normally 7500 on full syn or 5K on std oil. On the last change I missed getting it done, it went 15,000 miles on full syn oil, was mid range on dip stick & pretty dirty (I do all my own oil changes) and always do filter with oil. I mark mileage on filter for quick ref as to when it was done (5 different cars/trucks SUVs in the family) that I keep track of & change oil in. Now my f150 300 6 DOES drip at rear of pan, it had rusted pan & I had it replaced at shade tree mechanic. It uses/drips about 3/4 quart on an oil change after 140K, my T-Bird 225+K rock steady no consumption or drips...

Couple co-workers like their WRX and Outback, & had friend in school w BRAT that we had a LOT of fun in but it broke down about 5 times per 1000 miles...

m

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #29  
I bought two used Subies (a 94) 8 yrs ago and a 97 6 yrs ago. Each had over 140000 kliks when purchased. Both were Outbacks, both had tranny issues (replaced both) with used trannies Both the used trannies lasted less than 10K..so I gave up. Now I dtive a 2013 Dodge journey with AWD (6Cyl). I like the dodge better. The CVT is a good tranny. I don't think they ever fail, in anything.

/ Subaru mechanic or experience on here? #30  
As far as traction. The Subaru can start on an incline with only one tire getting traction. I have had this situation personally and have seen demos online of the car doing it. The others not so much.

As to tires I changed the factory tires to Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Great tire under all conditions and I got over 80k miles one the first set and working on the second. The car has 141k on it. Rain, snow, ice no problems.

2009 Legacy SE