Subaru Robin EH65 Issues

/ Subaru Robin EH65 Issues #11  
   / Subaru Robin EH65 Issues #14  
I see where this post is old but did you adjust governor after reinstalling carb.

/ Subaru Robin EH65 Issues #15  
Did you find the problem? If one intake valve is leaking, it would presurize the intake on that cylinders power stroke.

/ Subaru Robin EH65 Issues #16  
I am not a Power Trac owner but when I searched the site, discussions of the Subaru Robin EH65 seemed to be concentrated in this forum.

I have a Bulldog BD700 UTV made by American Landmaster that was built in 2010. It has an EH65 engine. I recently removed the engine to replace a head gasket. While I had it out, I replaced both head gaskets and rocker cover gaskets. I removed the valves and cleaned the carbon from the valves and heads. As an extra step, I used some valve grinding compound on the valves to be sure the seats and mating surface on the valves were clean. Also cleaned the carburetor (Nikki) and replaced the needle valve, fuel stop solenoid and gaskets. Didn稚 touch anything to do with the ignition components.

I reinstalled the engine with new plugs, fuel lines, fuel pump, oil & filter. Engine started right up and idled very smooth. However, if I try to get the engine very much above an idle, it begins to spit and sputter and if I open the throttle far enough, it starts to spit/spray gas out of the top of the carburetor.

Suspecting I had adjusted the intake valves too tight, I rechecked them and the clearances were good.

Who can tell me what to check next to try and run this down? The way the engine sits in the frame, you cannot remove the blower housing without at least unbolting and raising the engine to get to the lower housing bolts. Don稚 want to do that unless someone thinks this is ignition related. Any insight or assistance would be appreciated.
Highmaster2,
I too have a BD700 UTV, EH65, built about the same year and I recently found out what the problem was that I'd been having with low power when going up my driveway while grading it. Turns out #2 cylinder had a broken intake rocker arm which I think was caused by a tappet that had froze up in the tappet guide. I've replaced the bad or broken parts but am having a difficult time adjusting the valves. I bring the piston up TDC and adjust each valve to it's specifications but when I rotate the engine off TDC the valves fail to open or close, so it's obvious I'm failing to adjust them correctly initially! ANY help in this area would be greatly appreciated!!! From start to finish is what I'm looking for with respect to adjusting the valves! It's the only thing I'm lacking from getting it back together and fixing my driveway once and for all!

/ Subaru Robin EH65 Issues #17  
Highmaster2,
I too have a BD700 UTV, EH65, built about the same year and I recently found out what the problem was that I'd been having with low power when going up my driveway while grading it. Turns out #2 cylinder had a broken intake rocker arm which I think was caused by a tappet that had froze up in the tappet guide. I've replaced the bad or broken parts but am having a difficult time adjusting the valves. I bring the piston up TDC and adjust each valve to it's specifications but when I rotate the engine off TDC the valves fail to open or close, so it's obvious I'm failing to adjust them correctly initially! ANY help in this area would be greatly appreciated!!! From start to finish is what I'm looking for with respect to adjusting the valves! It's the only thing I'm lacking from getting it back together and fixing my driveway once and for all!
Sorry to hear it. Welcome to TBN!

Whenever I hear "frozen tappet", I get a bad feeling and start to worry about camshafts and whether the camshaft, and its drive train, are still intact. I have seen a slew of engines where failure of a rocker arm or tappet broke the camshaft itself or the cam gear.

Are all the tappets moving up and down the same amount as the crankshaft turns?

Are you feeling compression and hearing air passing out the exhaust? Any air coming out the intake?

All the best,

Peter

/ Subaru Robin EH65 Issues #18  
Sorry to hear it. Welcome to TBN!

Whenever I hear "frozen tappet", I get a bad feeling and start to worry about camshafts and whether the camshaft, and its drive train, are still intact. I have seen a slew of engines where failure of a rocker arm or tappet broke the camshaft itself or the cam gear.

Are all the tappets moving up and down the same amount as the crankshaft turns?

Are you feeling compression and hearing air passing out the exhaust? Any air coming out the intake?

All the best,

Peter
Peter,
Everything was intact internally, including the camshaft! Thank goodness for that as a new camshaft for that beast is about $500. I was able to remove the stuck tappet...it was located on the intake side of cylinder #2. I mic'd the tappet and the sleeve and then shaved the tappet down to size on my Shopsmith. Prior to installing the crankcase cover I noted that all the tappets were moving up and down, what appeared to be the same amount, as the crankshaft turned. I did not notice the push rods opening and closing valves, but I knew the valves were not close to being adjusted correctly. I did hear air passing out the exhaust. I think my problem might be finding TDC on the cylinders. I've tried to find out in the service manual how, to set up the cyl on TDC but apparently I'm missing something. Thanks for the warm welcome!

The Irishman

/ Subaru Robin EH65 Issues #19  
If you did it wrong (adjusted on high point of cam instead of low point) it would have a lot of slop in the rocker arms.
One easy way to adjust the valves that I do sometimes is to adjust the opposite valve on a specific cylinder, that is all the way down.
So if the intake valve is fully down, the exhaust will be in a good area to adjust clearance.
If yours are so far off that you can't tell which position the valves are in, look at the tappets.

/ Subaru Robin EH65 Issues #20  
Peter,
Everything was intact internally, including the camshaft! Thank goodness for that as a new camshaft for that beast is about $500. I was able to remove the stuck tappet...it was located on the intake side of cylinder #2. I mic'd the tappet and the sleeve and then shaved the tappet down to size on my Shopsmith. Prior to installing the crankcase cover I noted that all the tappets were moving up and down, what appeared to be the same amount, as the crankshaft turned. I did not notice the push rods opening and closing valves, but I knew the valves were not close to being adjusted correctly. I did hear air passing out the exhaust. I think my problem might be finding TDC on the cylinders. I've tried to find out in the service manual how, to set up the cyl on TDC but apparently I'm missing something. Thanks for the warm welcome!

The Irishman
Congratulations! That is good news.

There is an old timer method of removing the spark plugs and then pushing a long dowel through the spark plug hole to find when each piston is at maximum compression, and adjusting the valves then. I have never tried it.

All the best,

Peter