Subcompact Kubota search

/ Subcompact Kubota search #1  

psk125

Tractor
Simplicity 3212H
My 54 year-old Simplicity Sovereign is getting balky so I am looking for a sturdy replacement. My brother has had good results with Kubotas so I am looking for a used subcompact for mowing and snowplowing. The snow we get is wet and heavy, so snowblowers are often problematic. The land is flat, so no need for mega HP; 15 or 18 seem sufficient. It looks see like the different Kubota B and more recent BX tractors can do what I need, but I have some questions. The Sovereign has met my needs for more than twenty years, so am not familiar with the marketplace or the tractors themselves. First, do the BX models have features or updates that make them better for what I need? Or will a B model work just fine for twenty years, even though it's older? (And cost less to buy, though I've read that if something breaks parts can be hard to find.) Secondly, does it make sense to pay more for a tractor that is a year or more newer than another? Or do the number of hours on the meter and steady routine maintenance matter more? (If the meter can be trusted I may have answered that myself.) Thirdly, am I overthinking this and should be looking at other options?
Thanks.

/ Subcompact Kubota search #2  
As far as I know, the B models are still available as new tractors. Not sure what you mean by "older". I had a B7500 from new in 2002 till I sold it in 2012. Had I not wanted to do more , the B7500 would have been able to serve many more years.

I was looking at BX's when I bought the B7500. I wasn't convinced they'd be as capable as the B series, and when trying to operate one it just felt too small for comfort.

/ Subcompact Kubota search #3  
If you have a dealer nearby, look at these... You will over pay buying a Kubota or JD. But you can't go wrong with Kubota if money isn't a factor. Kubota BX would probably serve you well.

/ Subcompact Kubota search
As far as I know, the B models are still available as new tractors. Not sure what you mean by "older". I had a B7500 from new in 2002 till I sold it in 2012. Had I not wanted to do more , the B7500 would have been able to serve many more years.

I was looking at BX's when I bought the B7500. I wasn't convinced they'd be as capable as the B series, and when trying to operate one it just felt too small for comfort.
Shows how well I know what's what. I thought the BX replaced the B series, but you are obviously right. The B's I'm seeing for sale in my price range are older, and the BX models are newer simply because they came out more recently.

/ Subcompact Kubota search #5  
Have you ever pushed wet snow with a sub-compact tractor?

/ Subcompact Kubota search #6  
Yes I have. With my Steiner 420. The AWD system used is the best I have ever seen on a machine of this size.
Here's my example of that action. Pretty impressive IMO. Traction is good due to the low pressure bar tires it has I believe.

/ Subcompact Kubota search #7  
Impressive. keep it.

/ Subcompact Kubota search #8  
Yes I have. With my Steiner 420. The AWD system used is the best I have ever seen on a machine of this size.
Here's my example of that action. Pretty impressive IMO. Traction is good due to the low pressure bar tires it has I believe.
Looks like fun, But loader use is not "pushing wet snow".

A 7 foot blade will make steering a 3 ton tractor difficult in rain soaked snow.

/ Subcompact Kubota search #9  
So I wish I could say I have experience with subcompacts and snow.... However, I'm a southern boy with a 23hp BX. What I can say is that the BX has, within reason, done everything I've ever asked of it...just slower and with smaller "bites".... including pretty heavy dirt work in heavy clay soils. Using that as a point of discussion relevant to your needs I would suggest:

- Take a hard look at the FEL and 3pt characteristics (breakout, lifting weight, height, etc) between the various B models and the BX. I suspect you might be tempted with a B model that has more capability in that regard since your dealing with wet, heavy snow.

- Like the Steiner you showed the BX doesn't have a lot of ground clearance, some of the B models will provide more capability in that regard.

- It has been a very long time since I did comparisons, but I want to say within the B range of tractors there are some budget models (lacking convenience/comfort features) that provide all the capability and more without the premium carried by Bx223XX or other B models. Might be worth getting a spreadsheet together for feature and price comparison.

Final thought... when I purchased my BX I was entirely new to tractors and part of my willingness to pay a Kubota premium was twofold:

- Perceived brand reliability and corporation longevity
- The existence of two well established dealers within an hour of my house.

From on-going research/casual reading & having much more experience with operating and repairing a tractor if I had to do it over again I would be much more likely to consider brand such as Kioti.

/ Subcompact Kubota search #10  
Looks like fun, But loader use is not "pushing wet snow".

A 7 foot blade will make steering a 3 ton tractor difficult in rain soaked snow.

Maybe use a 6 foot blade? Or 5.5?

I used to clear snow with a subcompact, and moving from a garden tractor it was a big step up.

Yeah, the Kioti CK I have now obviously does a better job, but a payloader would do even better. That's a sliding scale for sure.