Subsoiler help

/ Subsoiler help #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
I have a single shank subsoiler and I can't get this thing to penetrate more than 8 inches. I've tried every top link angle I can think of. I thought it was supposed to pull itself deeper. Is there a trick to using this thing? Is weight needed? The point doesn't look that worn out.

/ Subsoiler help #2  
depending on how hard rge soil is extra weight may be required. On my having the main beam about vertical usually gives the best performance. I also add two 100 lb weights when the soil is real dry & hard

/ Subsoiler help #3  
You do need to have the point at a small angle downward when the point is on the ground. What it sounds like is your ground is extremely hard. Hard soil is a good thing but it can be to hard and you might need to make multiple passes.

/ Subsoiler help
Ok. It probably is hard ground. I tried it on ground that hasn't seen a plow in 50 years or ever. I'll try it in the field on some plowed ground and see. I was hoping to run some security camera lines with it, but it might be too much trouble and worth renting a trencher.

/ Subsoiler help #5  
Do you have a couple pictures to show the setup you have? If you have a small tractor and the hitch pins are higher up on the frame of the ripper, it is harder to operate deeper. As well, you need horsepower to pull the thing into the ground. Too little HP and the thing just wants to skim the ground or only go in a few inches. Extra weight will help but you still need the HP to get penetration. Show a picture.

/ Subsoiler help
I had a video somewhere. I'll look for it.

/ Subsoiler help #7  
The Lower Links on your Three Point Hitch are raised and lowered by Lifting Rods on the right and left sides.

At the bottom of each Lifting Rod there is a stirrup, which has two adjusting holes on the right stirrup and three adjusting holes on the left stirrup.

See if the lower hole has been selected which allows your subsoiler to start deeper in its default position. This is a pin adjustment. Changing holes will make about 4" difference to subsoiler penetration.

Photo: Pins/Ring Cotters secure stirrups in lowest position to allow Dethatcher max down pressure.

Attachments

• DSC00244.jpg
    DSC00244.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 708
Last edited:
   / Subsoiler help #8  
Do you have draft control on your tractor, it can make a difference. I can bury mine as far as the link arms will drop, use the draft control to keep at a certain level.

Ronnie

/ Subsoiler help #9  
The Lower Links on your Three Point Hitch are raised and lowered by Lifting Rods on the right and left sides.

At the bottom of each Lifting Rod there is a stirrup, which has two adjusting holes on the right stirrup and three adjusting holes on the left stirrup.

See if the lower hole has been selected which allows your subsoiler to start deeper in its default position. This is a pin adjustment. Changing holes will make about 4" difference to subsoiler penetration.

Photo: Pins/Ring Cotters secure stirrups in lowest position to allow Dethatcher max down pressure.

Great advice jeff.
We've ran into this plenty of times, most often with post hole diggers.
The lift arms/rods are frequently sent from the factory in the uppermost or lowermost positions.
Travis

/ Subsoiler help #10  
I have a single shank subsoiler and I can't get this thing to penetrate more than 8 inches. I've tried every top link angle I can think of. I thought it was supposed to pull itself deeper. Is there a trick to using this thing? Is weight needed? The point doesn't look that worn out.

There are different kinds of subsoiler. The parabolic shank subsoiler has less drag than a straight shank subsoiler, so with a given amount of available HP, the parabolic design will generally pull itself deeper than the straight shank.

Google "parabolic shank subsoiler" for more info

Good luck