Substitute John Deere Bearings, Electric Gator

/ Substitute John Deere Bearings, Electric Gator #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Any thoughts on this? I appreciate that John Deere has the parts for my Electric Gator, one day away, but I don't really want to spend $65.00 CDN on one bearing and $48.36 on a retainer. Heck, the Retainer rings are $10.21! That would cost around $150.00 a side for rear axle bearings and associated parts.

/ Substitute John Deere Bearings, Electric Gator #2  
thats the price to pay for parts support. The advantage is that in 50 years those parts will probably still be available from deere but at an even steeper price. I don't think we can say the same thing for many other brands.

If you have the part numbers maybe a local bearing store can match something cheaper either by part number or by physical size.

/ Substitute John Deere Bearings, Electric Gator
I know, I get that. But it's just a little too steep. It's not like a fender or some other (made by no one else, part). Might be a five dollar bearing! I see some genuine ones on E-Bay, and the box is marked China. Even at half the price, with exchange and shipping, it's back up there to about the same price.

Can one get a right size bearing for such a application by measurement, or is this risky business?

/ Substitute John Deere Bearings, Electric Gator #4  
every bearing has a number on it. They are pretty standard sizes. Take the model number on it and talk to a local SKF, NKM or other brand bearing dealers around you. they'll have the right model for you and can cross reference them. A 6203ZZ is the same no matter what manufacturer you get it from. edit: the 6203ZZ was just a gereric example...

/ Substitute John Deere Bearings, Electric Gator #5  
Can one get a right size bearing for such a application by measurement, or is this risky business?

I do it all the time.

I remember that one of my JD tractors had a bearing made in Russia. First one I ran into in any of my rebuilds.

I have purchased ball bearings and sleeve bearings by size with good results. Note that sometimes a ball bearing might have
a precision suffix, indicating tighter tolerances, such as 6203ZZ-C3.

I have a spare trans axle that broke the shaft and JD wanted $600 or so, so I just switched axles. I may take the spare apart to see what's what. See if I can get some numbers and at worst, take measurements.

The axle shaft is apparently only held on the outside with a retaining clip and not in the Def pod. Being broken, I wonder if I will have trouble getting the broken piece out of the axle tube and Def.

I just stuck a mic on the transaxle and then on the axle tube close to the wheel bearing. Not really sure what I am listening for? Just a crack, crack crack at odd intervals, regardless of Terrain, accel, decel, braking or turns. Thing runs quiet with both wheels jacked off the ground.

Do Ball bearings pile up like needle bearing? I would not have thought so.

/ Substitute John Deere Bearings, Electric Gator #8  
If the cage shatters they will but by then I'm pretty sure your axle would lock up.
Roller bearings only control radial loads unless they are conical but ball bearings control axial loads and radial loads.
I would assume this must be a ball bearing unless there is a thrust washer in there. Is this a solid axle or an independent rear axle.

Well good news. I took my bad (spare) axle apart and got out the bearing. It seems a guy can't own enough C-Clip pliars.

Peer 6205 RLD. First hit Amazon fifteen bucks CDN. I am not sure what the retainer is all about. Looks like a bushing, but made up of different materials (steel/brass) and you are supposed to drill it and break it with a chisel.

In the security business, I often feel embarrassed to mark stuff up 40 percent. But JD is marking common everyday stuff like bearings up 1200 percent! When a company has a policy of "never, ever give the customer a break" and charge all you possibly can, can you have any respect for them?

/ Substitute John Deere Bearings, Electric Gator #10  
Carrying stock is expensive. Deere parts are expensive but available most of the time. Even for 30 year old lawn mowers. Congrats on finding the bearing you need. When ever possible I do the same. But I do appreciate Deere parts.