Suburban vs. Excursion questions...

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions... #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Whichever one I buy it probably will not get driven all that much - weekend runs to Home Depot, hauling the tractor around, stuff like that. )</font>

Jim, if most of your driving will be local, around town kinda stuff, then I would recommend the V-10 gasser. The diesel will have higher initial cost and higher maintenance costs. But it is absolutely the right choice of you are going to travel and do a lot of highway driving. If most of your driving will be local, then the fuel cost savings will not be as significant and probably completely offset by the lower maintenance cost.

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions... #22  
Yes, Like Rozett said, I too, would not recommend a diesel for short hauls. Long hauls and heavy towing could only justify the extra $$$ in my mind.

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions... #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Excursion production ceased on September 30 </font> )</font>

I hate to hear that. The Excursion definately looked like a good Ford product,although I never had the chance to drive/own one.

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions... #24  
You know guys, I'm not sure I totally agree with that....... Of course if it is just a 10mi per month vehicle to drive to the corner store, your absoloutly correct.

My concern would be that you take bad fuel economy (10-12MPG) and drive it in town, stoplights, traffic, etc... You'd probably get 8-10MPG.

I havent had a chance to drive a V-10 for any speakable amount of time, but I think the logic is there. Could be wrong, I just wish Ford would have quit offering a gass burner in the Excursion, then they wouldnt have had bow down to the "greenies" by stopping production...

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions... #25  
I've never owned, nor wanted to own the Ford product, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but do own a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel Suburban.

The Sub is the wifes daily driver, and she will freely admit that it is the best vehicle that she has ever driven. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My brother has the same model Sub with the exception of a 454 motor and his family really like it. He is now looking to upgrade to a newer 3/4 ton 4wd Sub with the 8.1 liter motor.

RedDog

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions...
I have been looking around and doing some research and I think if I was going to go with an Excursion I would probably get the V10. Although I might use it for an occasional long trip by and large most of it's use would be "around town" runs to the lumberyard - hauling the tractor here and there, etc. The extra initial cost of the diesel and the higher maintainence costs probably even out the costs over time vs. the V10 from the way I am looking at it.

I have actually lusted after a current generation Suburban since they came out in 2000-2001. I like the look and slightly smaller size and better handling of the Suburban - but - I have talked with a few people and heard some bad comments about quality on the Chevy's. A co-worker who has a 2003 Sub said that they have had problems with rust and general bad build quality on the Suburban they have. My father has a 1997 Ford Expedition that is almost rust-free. Since I intend for this to be a long term owned vehicle having a good quality body is one my buying criteria. I would rather be fixing mechanical issues than doing body work over the years so I have started leaning towards the Excursion (at the moment).

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions... #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've never owned, nor wanted to own the Ford product, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif but do own a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel Suburban.
)</font>

I was raised that way, but rode in the Ford truck once. After being thoroughly let down with the extremely poor quality of the Suburban I owned, I'd highly recommend you try the Excursion. Even my dad, who lives and breathes Chevy, says that the Excursion (and Expedition) puts the Suburban to shame on quality.

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions... #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...I have talked with a few people and heard some bad comments about quality on the Chevy's. A co-worker who has a 2003 Sub said that they have had problems with rust and general bad build quality on the Suburban they have. )</font>

Well, since the Yukon XL 1500 is off the list I didn't feel compelled to add my $.02, but I can sympathize with this quality statement. We dumped a 2003 in an act of financial self-preservation last year, right after the manufacturer's warranty expired. Darn thing keep going thru front ends (3x @ $several thou). GMC put some serious $$ into the vehicle under warranty (not to mention flatbed rides and loaners, etc.). Frankly, I was scared to death thinking how expensive the maintenance on that sucker would be after the warranty expired. Thankfully, I had taken advantage of GM's 5yr/0% and got out with my shirt. But even if had been upside down on it, I figured it would be lest costly in the long run to trade. Perhaps in an effort to convince myself it was the exception rather than the rule (I've owned other GM products with great results), I traded it in for a GMC Sierra. So far, no regrets. I'm pleased with the p/u although Mom and the kids are less than thrilled to be back in a minivan.

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions...
After doing a little more research and reading all the comments to this thread (thanks everybody) I am definitely leaning towards ( almost falling over ) going with an Excursion. I still havent made up my mind whether to look for a gas V10 or a diesel. I have heard that the later 6.0 diesels in the Excursions are quite a bit quieter than the earlier 7.3's. One of my neighbors has an Excursion with a 7.3 - and it is loud. I would be willing to put up with a little less gas mileage for a little peace and quiet. Does anybody know how much quieter - if any - the 6.0 diesels are over the 7.3's?

/ Suburban vs. Excursion questions... #30  
a lot.....................