Such a complicated solution to a simple problem

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #11  
TwinWillows said:
I think your & my skidsteers might be the same vintage.. Heres a few of my Melroe Bobcat after an engine overhaul, heavy service, paint & new decals.

Looks very much alike. The one here at work doesn't have the canopy. I don't recall it ever having one. It's a little un-nerving being in it without that protection. We used it for years to work inside of buildings were were gutting for remodeling. It hasn't ran in years. Being used now as sort of a "book end" to hold up a stack of scaffolding.

Did you have a lot of trouble getting parts when you restored yours? (I asked as a lightbulb went off above my head!!!!)

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem
No cage on a skid steer is just asking for trouble. Guy about 10 years back got killed at the paper mill. He was forking up a roll of paper and it rolled over the fork backstop and crushed him.

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #13  
A friend was an engineer for Cat in the '70s and once told me that for every part he designed, he had to include additional drawings showing adequate space for hands and tools to service/remove the part. I've heard him curse more than one engineer who didn't subscribe to this practice.

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #14  
FWJ,

Not really - although it was rebuilt in Pittsbrugh PA @ one of the largest Bobcat dealerships... They have one of the original 3 wheel Keller Bros skidsteers in their lobby in 120% restored condition. Kind of a wierd/cool looking machine. They were originally built on a custom basis to clean out a Ill farmers turkey barns as the old method of wheelbarrows & pitchforks took a gang of men a long time...

Mine is an M-600 & it is complete w/a backhoe, rear stabilizers, 2 buckets & a heavy duty equipment trailer. Any idea what model yours is?

Twin

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #15  
FWJ, we had a 610 which is a bit newer then the 600 shown, but Bobcat always had any part I needed in a day or two. Their stockage of parts, even out of date stuff, has impressed me time and again.

Only place that got a touch flaky was engine parts, but I was always able to find them.

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #16  
TwinWillows said:
FWJ,

Any idea what model yours is?

Twin

I'll dig around and find out. It's painted bright red now, with no decals left intact. (well....WAS bright red 20 years ago) Everything our company owns finally gets a shot of red.

Bill

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #17  
I once had to replace the blower motor on my old Chevy....it was sealed up in a gap between the wheel well and the firewall. Called the dealer for directions and the tech said the manual says to remove the fender to access that area..............wth??

My Dad had a much simpler solution........we cut the metal inside the wheel well to make a flap access hole; bent the flap out of the way; replaced the motor; bent the flap of metal back into place and tack welded a couple of spots; bondo to seal the cut marks.