Suction strainer

/ Suction strainer #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Hould i put one in the new log splitter tank im building ?some threads on internet say no.can cause cavitation and decrease pump life.your thoughts please

/ Suction strainer #2  
Personally, I wouldnt put any hydraulic system together without a suction strainer. Lots of folks will argue with this. They will argue that the return filter will catch all the fine particles that will screw up a pump or valve. Suction strainers dont catch the small particles and 100 other excuses. I will say I have seen pieces of the filter bypasses get stuck in suction strainers. I find return filter bypass fails more often than most folks suspect. I have seen return filter bypasses stuck open from pieces of orings, broken relief springs and bunches of other stuff. All that stuff that can get by the return filter will eventually get sucked into the pump and pushed thru the valves. I also recommend a strainer at the fill cap to prevent any saw dust or other junk from getting in the tank. Also, if you think a new can of oil is clean oil, jerk the top off a five gallon bucket the next time you empty one, the bottom of the bucket will be full of junk.