Suggestions for First Time Tractor Owner

/ Suggestions for First Time Tractor Owner #1  

n0rseMN

Tractor
Can-Am Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
Hello, I'm looking to make a tractor purchase in the near future and have been looking primary at the Kubota B2601.

Primary properties include:
1. 40 acre red pine plantation (30 y/o trees) in a primarily sandy based region in northern MN. This property is generally flat and dry and the use will be trail cutting and food plot management. The plots are less than 3 acres.
2. Lake properties across northern MN. Both of my parents own lake properties which we have access to and use and I could see moving the tractor to these properties for various projects as needed. Both are small properties.
3. Future personal property to be used in likely a similar way the hunting land (#1).

I have a half ton truck and I want to be able to move the vehicle with relative ease.

Primary vehicles I'm considering include: B2601, LX2610, and the L2501.

L2501 seems like a great deal but maybe a little large for my weekend warrior application. I may want the mid-PTO option for a front snowblower someday as well. LX2610 seems like a decent option but it sounds like compared the B2601 its maybe not as refined?

What are thoughts on these machines?

/ Suggestions for First Time Tractor Owner #2  
You have defined "trail cutting" as a primary task. Forty acres is quite a lot.

What is trail cutting to you?

Bush Hogging through dense brush and saplings, then mowing regularly until brush dies, leaving sheared residual grass but uneven ground? (ATV access, hunting stand access)

Moving considerable dirt to even up your land, making it passable for Senior age pedestrians with limited strength and limited balance?

Last edited:
   / Suggestions for First Time Tractor Owner
Exactly. Making trails for ATVs and kiddo ATVs to meander about the property. The rows between the red pines are relatively clean with only small bushes and saplings in some areas. Would mostly be mulching up small branches that have fallen from the pines.

/ Suggestions for First Time Tractor Owner #4  
The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

VIDEO:

L2501 seems like a great deal but maybe a little large for my weekend warrior application.

Primary Kubota models I'm considering include: B2601, LX2610, and the L2501.

All three of these models are among the lightest 4-WD compact tractors produced.

Not too much difference between the B2601 and LX2610. Both are very light, both have quite a few deluxe features. B2601 and LX2610 are LANDSCAPING tractors, usually used in residential yards. (You will regret having a vulnerable mid-PTO under your tractor when working forty acres of tree plantation. Infrequently engaged mid-PTO will be bashed and sap/dust clogged into inoperability.)

The L2501 is an economy tractor. It has just enough additional weight and larger wheels/tires to make it more capable at earth contact tasks.

Bush Hogging forty acres, with saplings, using a 60" cutter, requires at least 33-horsepower. You would be well advised to buy a heavy-duty 60" cutter weighing 1,000 pounds, with a Category 4 cutter drive line, for creating and maintaining trails through forty brushy acres.

If your land is flat, consider an L3302 or L3902 to power a heavy-duty 60" cutter.

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. A 6" to 10" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential.

If your land is sloped or hilly consider a wider, heavier deluxe Kubota L3560 to pull a heavy-duty 60" cutter.

When considering a tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR

Last edited:
   / Suggestions for First Time Tractor Owner #5  
IMG_3780.jpg

My tractor weighs 4600# and I have a 20foot 10k trailer that I tow with my halfton with heavy duty factory tow package. It works really good, I've towed it for thousands of miles like this for my mowing jobs.

For the larger HP tractors, how much of a challenge are the reclamation systems? Initial talks with the dealer said to avoid those if possible due to the extra cost and maintenance.

/ Suggestions for First Time Tractor Owner #7  
Reclamation systems ?

Do you mean Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) used on compact tractors to meet Tier IV emission reduction mandates?

Watch the first VIDEO in Post #4.

More than you ever wanted to know:

Bush Hogging forty acres, with saplings, using a 60" cutter, requires at least 33-horsepower.

Last edited:
Sorry, regeneration.

/ Suggestions for First Time Tractor Owner #9  
My TYM has a Kukje A2300N4 (license made Cummins A-series engine) with mechanical fuel injection. It uses a passive regen system, if you keep rpms above 2k it regens as you work it. I have 280h on mine, never had a request for a stationary regen. Idling and low load is what fills it up with soot.

So if I were to go the direction of a L3302, would you be inclined to go gear or hydro?