Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings?

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #11  
Most farm equipment dealers sell "Big Orange" brand clevis's. The following might work for what you need.

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #12  
I wanted a ring to slide chains through and connect multiple shackles to, so I took a length of 1/2 steel rod and wrapped it (red hot) around a piece of 4 inch pipe and over lapped ends about a inch (+) and welded it.... Gave me "larger" point to connect multiple shackles, now if I could only find it, its lost somewhere on my 10 acres because I did not safety wire the shackle I was using to secure it to tractor.....

You are probably going to find that a single shackle for each end loop in your nylon straps to a intermediate ring is going to be simplest way to navigate you lifting problems...

Something similar to:...

I think the "pear shaped" eye ring would be ideal for connecting multiple shackles together...

Last edited:
   / Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #13  
Can anyone suggest what size shackle I would need for this application? And where to get one? (I found this shackle, with a 1.06" "mouth width," but I don't see a measurement for how wide the "belly" of the shackle is, so I can't really judge if I could get all for nylon loop ends on it at once or not: Crosby® Anchor Shackle - Bolt Type - 5/8" - G-2130 - 3.25 Ton)
That dimension is 1.69".
Some Other Alternative to a Shackle?
I keep wondering if there's something like a huge carabiner that's actually rated for thousands of pounds, as my slings are (apparently, the slings' lifting capacities vary based upon whether they're used as "chokers" or in a vertical lift.)
There are several alternatives. Chain would give you much better adjustability than slings. A rigging ring/master link connected via a clevis/shackle (those two words are often used interchangeably) would provide several options. Lifting Links & Rigging Rings If this equipment is something you'll be loading and unloading regularly, it may be worth figuring out the balance point and welding on a D ring or other attachment point that would allow single point lifting. A sling has the least strength when used in a choker configuration, "normal" strength when used vertically and the strength is doubled if it's used in a basket configuration.

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #14  
Attach one shackle to your tractor, then use a soft shackle to fasten several sling ends to the shackle.

If you aren't familiar with a soft shackle, they are far stronger than they look. Just keep them away from sharp edges.

Bruce

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #15  
Attach one shackle to your tractor, then use a soft shackle to fasten several sling ends to the shackle.

If you aren't familiar with a soft shackle, they are far stronger than they look. Just keep them away from sharp edges.

Bruce
I bought some soft shackles and snatch rings a couple years ago when I went with synthetic rope on my winch. The soft shackles, rated at something in excess of 40K are happy with a double-rigged setup on the 9K winch, so I'd trust them with the 2K capacity of my loader.

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #16  
WranglerX you could get a large magnet and attach it to the
front of your tractor so if it picked up a piece of metal it would
release a flag then you could stop and see if you found it. That's
for you how to figure out how to do it Its just an idea :unsure:

willy

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #17  
WranglerX you could get a large magnet and attach it to the
front of your tractor so if it picked up a piece of metal it would
release a flag then you could stop and see if you found it. That's
for you how to figure out how to do it Its just an idea :unsure:

willy
Already went over suspected areas with metal detector..... The rest of the 10 acres may take forever with magnet.... Easier to make new ring and I have extra shackles.... I do blacksmithing as a side hobby...